Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flooding in New Orleans
I'm in a city that reminds me of New Orleans, down on Canal St. and the French Quarter area. The street is filled with people, all college aged young people. It's like spring break or some other celebration. There's a parade with floats. People tossing stuff from the floats and people on the sidewalks scrambling and scrabbling for the thrown stuff. I'm standing with some girls. They want me to go clothes shopping with them. I'm not interested in buying clothes but I go with them anyway. When we come out of one store, it's raining. The parade has ended but there are still people in the street. It's raining so hard that water has risen to about thigh height. People are swimming in the street and floating about in inner tubes. Yet the water hasn't risen above the sidewalks or median. People are walking and milling around like normal. I walk along the median. At the end of the street, the end nearest the river, there's an old sailing ship floating in the water. It's flying a Jolly Roger flag. I hear music and think this is ridiculously Disney-esque. A man dressed in a white poet's shirt, trousers, and boots sits astraddle the deck railing near the bow of the ship. He calls down to me and I wave at him. He invites me aboard the ship to sail the 7 seas with him. The college girls, who are now with me again, crowd around me, wanting to know what I'm going to do and asking if I knew the guy. I peer up at him and ask if we know each other. He laughs, then grins down at us and tells the girls that he and I have never met but we've known each other for years. He extends his hand down to me. I take his hand and he pulls me aboard. The girls cheer as the ship pulls away from the dock like it has an engine. What about them? I ask, gesturing at the city. He laughs and says that they'll manage fine without me, that I have other work to do. I laugh, too, and say it's about effing time.

Notes:

At first I didn't recognize the city, thinking it was one of those dream cities that are anonymous but represent somewhere else. Then I realized I did recognize the scene, that it was Canal St. from New Orleans. I don't know what the celebration was but there was a parade, which isn't that unusual in NO, really. Nor is the stuff being thrown from the floats. I was there a few years ago and attended a parade where every float or group that went by seemed to toss stuff into the crowd(I fielded a few items that would have nailed some people in the heads if I hadn't been paying attention. They didn't even notice how close they came to being cold-cocked by frisbees or plastic cups. LOL).

What struck me was how no one seemed to care about the flooding. People on the sidewalks went about their business while the people in the streets saw it as a chance to have fun.

The sailing ship really did remind me of the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean movies but the captain was not Johnny Depp. More like Eric from The Little Mermaid. No kidding when I say it was very Disney-esque.
I would imagine there should still be some kind of seasonal marker, it can and does get cooler there, just like it does in Tampa Bay. If you look at our average temps, you'd think we'd be wearing shorts all year round, but we don't. And we do get spells of colder weather and some frost occcasionally. Looking forward to boots weather LOL.

But maybe the flooding wasn't a real event, but something more metaphoric.

Reminds me of people partying while the ship is sinking. Not paying attention to what is going on around them (the flooding), and just partying as usual. Like things will always be the same. Idiots.
(10-30-2016, 08:39 AM)Goldengirl Wrote: I would imagine there should still be some kind of seasonal marker, it can and does get cooler there, just like it does in Tampa Bay. If you look at our average temps, you'd think we'd be wearing shorts all year round, but we don't. And we do get spells of colder weather and some frost occcasionally. Looking forward to boots weather LOL.

But maybe the flooding wasn't a real event, but something more metaphoric.

Reminds me of people partying while the ship is sinking. Not paying attention to what is going on around them (the flooding), and just partying as usual. Like things will always be the same. Idiots.

Interesting thing occurred yesterday:

Was talking with a friend about this dream, especially that I recognized Canal St. She said that was interesting because she had also had a dream about being on Canal St. She went on to tell me that a parade was taking place, the sidewalks were crowded with people, and people on the parade floats were throwing things to the people on the sidewalk. She said the scene shifted and she was standing in the street, thigh-deep in colored beads. People were swimming and playing in t he beeads as if they were in water. She also saw a big sailing ship, like a Spanish galleon at the end of the street. She didn't approach the ship. She even heard music and thought of Disney.

When we compared notes, both our dreams occurred the same night.

So, yeah, the water seems to be a metaphor for something, not necessarily meaning an actual flood.
Wow, the parallels are freaky. I've obviously heard about mutual dreaming, but never actually knew anyone who experienced it.

Now, water can mean anything from drowning to salvation and all points in between. But the beads the people were swimming in are interesting. Because they're not real gems, just plastic, fake shiny things that folks will get hurt over. We have a parade down here in late January called Gasparilla, and there are all these Disneyesque Pirate floats and beads being tossed. A lot of drunken revelry and bead fighting going on.

Not sure where this is going, but there is something tickling the back of my mind. Big Grin
We had no idea we dreamed similar dreams until last night.