Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hacking a POS Terminal
Saturday January 24th, 2015

I am in <My Home City> walking a mile from my house to the corner with James. We are on the south sidewalk, already past the grocery store. Its daytime, but it is late in the day and the clouds are piling up to a thick gray color. They are behind us to the west, but I keep looking back to keep an eye on them. They move and change every time I look at them. We walk all the way past the church on the right and get up to the empty lot next to the old High School. I look back and the clouds are churning and building up. As we approach the corner, the entire sky suddenly flows west. The impending storm clouds flow away, and the scene falls into night. We cross the road and look at the empty bus stop on the other side of the intersection. We look the other way to a building on the northwest corner. Itâ€s small, with one POS terminal in a cove in the front of the building where you can buy bus tickets. There is one lone light over the terminal. We walk up to it, and James starts playing on the touchscreen. It has a nicely made, full color blue GUI where you can purchase bus passes. After a moment or two he is able to break out of the UI. The terminal is running Linux. The underlying OS looks like something out of the eighties- not entirely command line, but not entirely GUI. I watch the screen as he somehow gets us a $65.17 credit. I slide my backpack off my shoulder and set it by my feet. I turn around, lean against the building, and watch the street. Soon I see three men walking over from the other side of the road. I glance back at the screen and see James has gotten the terminal to run Google Chrome. The men are closer and I can see one is a police officer in a tan uniform. The other two are dressed up nicely, but not in a uniform. I bet they work for the bus depot. The walk up and talk to me, but between James and I they cannot see the screen yet. I greet them and we talk for a minute. They begin to suspect something and lay into James, asking him a bunch of questions and stuff. I intervene: "Look, you need evidence to accuse us of a crime, and I know you don't have any evidence because there is no crime going on here." I say one or two more things before I make a joke. They all laugh at it, and I quickly switch to a friendly demeanor. I turn around and James has Netflix pulled up on the terminal. The five of us stand there for a while talking and watching Netflix.
I am with my dogs. I am hugging and petting Spencer and Sidney. Sidney is really into it. He begins circling around me and rubbing his fur up against me. I bury my face in his fur and give him a bunch of kisses. He whispers in my ear a few times while I am petting him: "I love you." I respond audibly, "I love you too Sidney!" I hug him and kiss him. He is incredibly happy to see me. It is great to be with my dogs.