Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denial of Dragons in the Chimney
20170712-Dream-Denial of Dragons in the Chimney
06:40 PDST, 01:05 LST

In the dream, we are in the living room of the house, late at night. A flapping and crunching sound (creosote or charcoal) comes from the chimney.
“Bats!” my wife tells me, and I agree. I get a glass jar ready, and rattle the damper to dislodge the little critters. I open the damper, and three black shapes fall into the charcoal and ashes of the cold hearth. I can’t see them clearly, but I quickly scoop up the baby bats into the jar and cover the lid with my palm.

“Get me a jar lid!” I call to my wife, and she hurries to the kitchen to find one. I turn the jar upside down to get a better look at the bats, my palm still on the opening. The bats are on my palm now. I am a bit uncomfortable.

One of the bats lifts its head, on a too-long neck. It opens a too-large eye that looks like a cat’s eye, and looks at me sideways through the glass. I can see it following the lines of my body from my head, down my arm, and to the palm beneath it. Its head dips slowly down towards my palm. It opens a mouth full of curved, needle-like teeth. It tries to take a bite out of my palm, but cannot get a purchase. It keeps trying. The teeth feel very smooth against my palm. Or is it biting me already?

“Hurry up with the lid!” I yell, now beginning to panic.
“I can’t find any lids!” she yells back, rattling through the kitchen drawers.
“Any size lid!” I yell back, “Hurry!”
“There aren’t any jar lids in the kitchen! Somebody threw them all out! I’m going to look in the basement.”

I look around the dining room and find a lousy plastic lid, the wrong size with a crack in the side. I turn the jar back over and clap the lid on top when the bats tumble to the bottom. I throw a bit of wood on top of the bats. The other two bats are stirring now. My wife is still in the basement.

What will I do with the bats? They are all awake now, staring at me. Throw them into the back yard? They will just fly into the chimney again. Kill them? How?

Dream ends. About 30 seconds after I wake up, I realize that these were dragons, not bats. Ten minutes later, brushing my teeth, it occurs to me that if there were baby dragons in the chimney, there was probably at least one big dragon nearby. In my dream, my wife and I could not or did not realize that they were dragons.

Messages In This Thread
Denial of Dragons in the Chimney - by ablelba - 07-12-2017, 11:19 AM
RE: Denial of Dragons in the Chimney - by ablelba - 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: Denial of Dragons in the Chimney - by ablelba - 07-12-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: Denial of Dragons in the Chimney - by ablelba - 07-15-2017, 12:05 AM