The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/natircom/public_html/forum/forum/inc/config.php:1) - Line: 1721 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
[PHP]   errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1721 header
/inc/class_session.php 338 my_setcookie
/inc/class_session.php 75 session->load_guest
/global.php 55 session->init
/showthread.php 22 require_once
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/natircom/public_html/forum/forum/inc/config.php:1) - Line: 1721 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 343 my_setcookie
/inc/class_session.php 75 session->load_guest
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 83 my_setcookie
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1783 my_setcookie
/inc/functions_indicators.php 42 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 592 mark_thread_read
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1783 my_setcookie
/inc/functions_indicators.php 218 my_set_array_cookie
/inc/functions_indicators.php 48 mark_forum_read
/showthread.php 592 mark_thread_read

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Power
09-11-2014, 05:11 PM
No Power
This looked like it was going to be a major meme form the perspective of Project August, but I think we may have been seeing a little farther ahead in time.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/tech/innov...?hpt=hp_t2

Big solar storm heading toward Earth

This is not your usual weather forecast. Big storms are brewing. Your umbrella won't help, but you might want to keep a flashlight handy.

These storms are coming from the sun. It's raining down a huge amount of radiation. We're safe, but it could affect power grids, radios and satellites.

Experts say the combined energy from two recent solar events will arrive at Earth on Saturday, prompting the Space Weather Prediction Center to issue a strong geomagnetic storm watch.

Wait. What kind of watch? Basically, the sun is a giant ball of gas -- 92.1% hydrogen and 7.8% helium. Every now and then it spits out a giant burst of radiation called a coronal mass ejection, or CME.

CMEs are sometimes associated with solar flares, the most explosive events in the solar system. The sun has released two CMEs in the past two days and both are linked to solar flares. NASA says the second flare is an X1.6 class, putting it in the most intense category.

The energy from those two CMEs is heading toward Earth.

Space weather experts aren't sure yet what this solar storm will do.

"This is a pretty strong solar storm and we just won't know until it gets here" what it will do, said CNN meteorologist Chad Myers.

Earth's atmosphere usually protects us humans, but you might want to keep a flashlight handy. Solar storms can knock out power, interfere with GPS and radio communications -- including those on commercial airliners -- and they can damage satellites.

"People on the ground really don't have to worry," Lika Guhathakurta, a program scientist with NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory, told CNN. She said solar storms don't impact humans on the ground, although astronauts could be at risk.

And our technology.

But don't worry too much. NASA can take steps to protect the crew members on the International Space Station and satellite operators can turn off sensitive sensors on satellites to mitigate the risk to your smartphones and wi-fi connection. There may be temporary glitches though, Guhathakurta says.

And if there is a major issue, scientists are taking precautions to make sure all the important parties are prepared.

"FEMA has been notified of these events just in case," Thomas Berger, director of NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center, said at a Thursday news conference.

On March 13, 1989, a solar storm knocked out power for the entire province of Quebec for 12 hours. Power grids in the United States were impacted, but didn't have blackouts. NASA says some satellites tumbled out of control for hours during what's known as the Quebec Blackout. The space shuttle Discovery was in orbit at the time and had a mysterious sensor problem that went away after the storm, NASA says.

On the upside, solar storms also create beautiful aurora. Aurora watchers in the northern United States who are outside of major metropolitan areas should be watching the skies on Thursday and Friday nights.

People in the southern part of the nation are less likely to get the kind of splendid aurora sights that people in the Northeast and Alaska will see, but it might not hurt for them to take a glance at the sky anyway, just in case.

Although it won't be as intense a view as the one northerners will get, "if you want to take a look on Friday night, why not?" said Berger.

Study: Massive solar storm barely missed us in 2012

Tȟaté makȟámaniyaŋ wóihaŋble Súŋ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: No Power
and then there's my dream last night:
http://www.nationaldreamcenter.com/dream...ptop_Fries

I chalked it up to day residue after being electrocuted THROUGH MY MOUSE when a lighting bolt struck the house about 3 hours before bed last night!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 05:33 PM
solar flares do put on an interesting show.

Northern Lights May Ignite in Mid-Atlantic, Central US Skies: Where to See Rare Show

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2014/09/1...-see-rare/

Edna
I know because I can read.
I read because I want to know.
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Interesting Dream Chris, and the fact that your mouse shocked you... Do you have a wireless mouse? (Wondering how electric currents work)

09-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Dreams work in mysterious ways. Often we can have a combo of personal and residue along with a metaphoric precog. I do, anyway. Toss in a synchonicity or two....

http://www.transients.info/2014/09/x16-c...lysis.html
http://www.transients.info/2014/09/two-c...evere.html

Some history on geo-magnetic storms like BIG ones that made history.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_storm

We're into one of those windows someone mentioned a while back.
09-11-2014, 07:52 PM
wow-
Great dream Eagle 1
Suggestion from a no-nothing nerd (computer illiterate) put a single tie in your mouse and laptop electric cord that attaches to the outlet.
I am told it acts as a surge protector.

also for everyone who dreams-
And at the 'base' (dreambase?) either don't drink water before bed and/or empty your bladder before bed, it sure helps with those bathroom dreams. Trust me, I know that one. And I still have to get up sometimes to pee.
As for solar storms, radio blackouts, lets hope planes don't 'fall out of the sky or get tossed around like those satellite.
No fear, remember.
Then again, think Project August- it had a six week time frame so the coming solar storm is still in that period to occur.
I don't like flying when there are coronal holes/solar flare potential as those flying are closer to the radiation bursts and levels are much higher than on the ground.
I wonder if anyone has done a medical survey on pilots/flight attendants or frequent flyers to see how many come down with after effects of years of exposure?
Then again that is my 35years of healthcare talking too. Don't pay any attention to that.
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 08:17 PM
AD, I have seen articles on how much more radiation pilots get then those on the ground... I would assume if they did a study of that they may also have cancer rate statistics too, I just don't know if anyone has posted them or not.