Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Graduation
I am at a graduation. In a huge hall that reminds me of a movie theater with a concession area. It's a little tacky as far as ambiance.
I decide to sit by myself just outside the seating area by the concessions. I had been sitting in the eating area at a table with friends and a new, budding romantic partner, a tall person. This is hard to pin down: it is as if there are two people. One is a tall, young, white man who reminds me of Noah. The other is a middle aged black man who reminds me of Ralph. (Not sure about any of this, but it is as close as I can come.) So there is the aura of new romance, suitors, tingly sweetness and my suitor is in school or at a new job and has to get back to it. He catches me when I fall when we stand up. I continue to wait for him in the area. At first I sit at a table there, but the table begins to fill with members of a black family who is there for the graduation, and I realize they are going to need the whole table, so I move my seat to make room for them. I go sit by the entrance. Then, a tall white student who is graduating sits down by me. He is very grumpy and sullen about something. I ask him about it. He says he doesn't want to or can't graduate with the class. He points to the rest of them sitting as a group. I realize as we talk that he is very intelligent and interesting person despite his sourness at the moment. It is not clear if he is disgraced in some way or if they have displeased him. He has a white gauzy type of garb covering his graduation robes. It isn't really clothing, just some gauzy cloth wrapped around him. I try to cheer him up by appreciating him, responding to the intelligence in him as if that will make him feel respected and then interested in the event going on rather than just annoyed at everyone. I think it works a little, and part of him starts to enjoy the prospect of graduation.