Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MSM as a Dream Enhancer?
Hi all--

I have been reading that using an over-the-counter supplement that is typically used for arthritis pain enhances the dreaming experience. Sometimes it causes a bleed-over of the dream into life after the person wakes up.

The substance is abbreviated "MSM," which stands for Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane.
You can find it in the Vitamins/Supplements section of pharmacies and health food stores. Usually it is combined with Glucosamine and/or Chondroitin, and is thought to build up the natural padding between joints, and perhaps to improve hair quality.

Here is a review article on MSM:
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-suppl...nd-risks#1

And here is a discussion thread on a hair-care blog about wild dreams after taking MSM;
https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/sh...ms.194827/

The hair forum people seem to be taking powdered MSM in doses from 2000 mg to "a couple of tablespoons" in liquid at bedtime, most taking 3000mg at bedtime.

By contrast, this site recommends a maximum dose of 2000 mg 3 times a day, or 3000 mg twice a day;

https://www.drugs.com/npp/methylsulfonyl...e-msm.html

Does anyone here have experiences with dreams and MSM?

Note that a _lot_ of the vivid dreams recorded above were bad dreams, and some had lasting adverse effects.
I decided to try MSM myself, after seeing it in the vitamin section of my local drugstore. It comes in 1000 mg tablets. The fine print on the side of the bottle said, "Do not take at bedtime."
As an experiment, I took 3 of the 1000 mg tabs at bedtime.
Got a symbolic ver dream that night--
I dreamed I was walking along a dirt road a couple of hundred years ago and came to a stream about 10 feet across, with a wooden footbridge going over it. There was a man entirely in black clothes with a wide-brimmed black leather hat. He was hanging by his arms over the right side railing of the bridge. It looked like his arms had been wedged into the railing somehow, and he appeared to be dead.

On the left side of the bridge, there was a young woman with bright red hair and a traditional dress and hat, possibly Dutch. She was kneeling on her left knee, and seemed startled by my approach. She was looking directly into my eyes from her deep blue eyes, and there was a question there, perhaps more than one.

Without speaking, she seemed to wonder, "What was I going to do?" and "Would she need to do anything about me?"

The dream ended there.

So--Interesting outcome. It felt like I was meeting an archetype. I will probably post the dream on the public dreams...
Thanks for this information. This is very interesting.
(06-22-2018, 01:02 AM)ablelba Wrote: I decided to try MSM myself, after seeing it in the vitamin section of my local drugstore.  It comes in 1000 mg tablets.  The fine print on the side of the bottle said, "Do not take at bedtime."  
As an experiment, I took 3 of the 1000 mg tabs at bedtime.  
Got a symbolic ver dream that night--
I dreamed I was walking along a dirt road a couple of hundred years ago and came to a stream about 10 feet across, with a wooden footbridge going over it.  There was a man entirely in black clothes with a wide-brimmed black leather hat.  He was hanging by his arms over the right side railing of the bridge.  It looked like his arms had been wedged into the railing somehow, and he appeared to be dead.

On the left side of the bridge, there was a young woman with bright red hair and a traditional dress and hat, possibly Dutch.  She was kneeling on her left knee, and seemed startled by my approach.  She was looking directly into my eyes from her deep blue eyes, and there was a question there, perhaps more than one.

Without speaking, she seemed to wonder, "What was I going to do?"  and "Would she need to do anything about me?"

The dream ended there.

So--Interesting outcome.  It felt like I was meeting an archetype.  I will probably post the dream on the public dreams...