Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Grandmother Tree
1 July 2016
Intention: To gain clarity regarding something that came up during meditation

I'm walking along a path in a park-like setting. There are other people around, hanging out in the park, and no one seems to notice me. I'm dressed in a black uniform, one I've worn before, and which signals I'm working. I'm looking for someone in particular, even though I don't know who. I come across a group of people sitting on the grass in a circle. A man is standing in the center of the circle, talking, and the people are listening. I scan the group, knowing this is where I will find the person I seek, but I don't get a sense the person is in the group. I see a man standing next to a table laden with food. The man looks like a younger Michael J. Fox. He's the one I seek. I walk towards him and tell him I was sent to talk to him. He glances at me then returns his attention to the food, saying, Tell them I'm not interested. I tell him I suspect we're supposed to work together. He reiterates that he's not interested. I stand there silently. He sighs, irritated, and turns to me, saying that he's told "you people" over and over that he's not interested and asks what it will take to get "you" to leave him alone. I tell him I know nothing about that, I'm simply a messenger delivering a message. He says, Fine. Deliver this message to whoever keeps sending people to harass me. No. I'm not interested. I have my life and no intention of at messing with it for whatever cause you people think is so vitally important. Now go away. Okay, I say, I'll pass along your message. But before I do, may I show you something? It won't take long. He sighs and says, Fine. If it means this is the last time I have to deal with you people, fine. Show me whatever you think is so important, not that it will make any difference.

Then we're standing on a hillside overlooking a grassy plain. There's nothing on the plain except a massive tree. The tree is as tall as a skyscraper and the trunk is so large around that it would require a short day hike to circle. The canopy covers at least several football fields. What is THAT? the man asks. The grandmother tree, I say. I being walking towards the tree. He falls into step beside me. As we draw closer, we can see people all over the tree, moving around and tending the tree, like ants on a regular sized tree. There are also people moving around the base of the tree and tending the root system. The man and I don't speak until we reach the base of the tree to stand between two roots that are taller than both of us. Between the roots is a small door, almost invisible in the bark. The grandmother tree, I repeat, She watches over everything and asks for nothing in return. I don't understand, he says. I reach out both of my hands and rest them against the bark. A wave of gentle, unconditional love and joy flows from the tree and into me. It welcomes me. Envelops me. I look at him. Touch her, I say, and hear what she has to say to you. He hesitates, then places his hands against the bark. He gasps. Falls to his knees. Tears begin to stream down his cheekcs. He bawls openly for some time, then removes his hands and uses them to scrub at his eyes. He looks at me and says, I had no idea. Most don't, I say. He asks if I had been through this before. I tell him yes, I've felt the grandmother's love for all her children before and it knocked me flat. Now I know what to expect and can at least remain upright. He looks at the door, then glares at me. You set me up, he says. No, I say, I just showed you why we stand against the adversary. He points at the door and says, Then explain that. I look at the door but see nothing and tell him so, that whatever he's seeing is meant for him alone. How did you know? he demands. I repeat my previous statement, adding that whatever is written there may not be what he wants to see but it's exactly what he needs to see because the grandmother knows her children. And surprise! She loves us anyway. I tell him if he's ready to go, I'll take him back and I assure him he won't be bothered again. You would do that? he asks. I gave my word, I say. He hesitates, then steps forward, yanks the door open, and steps through. I shrug, then follow him.

The man and I are in a big open area crammed full with cubicles. Each cubicle has a human in it, head down and doggedly typing away on computer keyboards. He's now dressed in a uniform like mine and we're stealthily slipping along a walkway between the cubicles and a wall. He opens his mouth to speak but I put my finger to my lips, shushing him. We move carefully, cautiously, and, most importantly, silently along the wall. A couple times we freeze, plastering ourselves against the wall as humans and beings of all kinds pass back and forth along the walkway, unaware of our presence. We eventually reach a doorway and exit through it into a long, empty corridor. The man says, That was your idea of a shortcut? No, I say, grinning at him, That was something you needed to see. I set off at a slow trot down the corridor, saying, This is the shortcut. What was that place? he asks, falling into stride next to me. The true reality, I say, How things really are. What people think is reality is just an illusion. He shakes his head, saying, I had no idea. Most people don't, I reply, It's like the movie. "The Matrix," he says. Yup, I say. Sometimes truth is given in different ways to plant seeds in people's minds. I grin at him and say, And if anyone had told me ten years ago what this path would require, I would have said they were insane. I pull open a door that seems to materialize out of the wall as he says, I'm not so sure we're not insane. We step through the doorway as I comment that a bit of insanity is necessary for the job, so we don't go crazy.

Notes:

I don't know if it was Michael J. Fox but it was definitely someone who looked and sounded like him.

I hadn't seen the grandmother tree before but I have been on the receiving end of that unconditional love and acceptance. None of my flaws mattered. No sins mattered. All that mattered was I existed and therefore I was worthy of being loved and accepted unconditionally. And that was how it was for everyone, no matter who they were or what they may have done. There was no judgment of any kind. Just that all-encompassing love.

I've been in that building with the cubicles before, on my way through from point A to B. This was the first time I knew what it was, however.
Beautiful and necessary. Thank you D.