Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Hum" Scientists think they have found the Answer
Remember THE HUM?  That pesky noise which many have heard, often at night?  Well scientists think they have found the answer to this strange HUM noise.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment...82111.html
I hope they're right. I do like their confidence-level. It says the sound lasts from "13 to 300 seconds." They HAVE to mean each pulse or wave of it does because that sound can last for a half hour, even. Also, it's described as sounding different in different regions and various sources have said 3 or 4 different sounds.

I've had to tolerate it sounding precisely like a jet engine and other times like a train way in the distance, but problem is that I do not live even within a hundred miles of a train track. Being sensitive to this/these sounds is something that a person best be a very confident person because what others may think of it shouldn't be something to care about. But I bet some poor folks do.

(04-17-2015, 12:39 AM)twiceblessed9 Wrote: Remember THE HUM?  That pesky noise which many have heard, often at night?  Well scientists think they have found the answer to this strange HUM noise.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment...82111.html
Time for a Hum report. Have heard the same sound now eight or so times in the last 4 approx. weeks. It's never been the full Railroad sound for this time period. It's a wimpy, partial version of that. Not realistic but don't know what else to describe it as, and this may as well be a joke though absolute truth. The bathroom is the best room to detect it in! has got to be since it's a very quiet room, with door closed. The sound always seems as if it's behind me. What the heck with this?

Still....always at night, with doubting myself thinking I heard it early one morning but now I'm just not sure.
In early May, I heard the sound of a train moving along a track, complete with an occasional whistle over the course of a week. It was the first time I'd heard that sound and I haven't heard it since.

Two things that were weird about this:

1) We're nowhere near train tracks.

2) I was the only one hearing the sound.

Didn't associate it with a hum, because, as I said, I've never heard that particular sound before. Sometimes I hear faint car horns, as if someone's laying on the horn somewhere far away. Sometimes I hear music, mostly orchestral, but nothing I recognize. Never thought to consider it as a form of a hum and have never checked what's going on geologically around the world. One thing I do know is we're directly over a major ley line AND sitting smack atop the Edwards Aquifer. I mostly attribute the weird noises I hear to those things.
I hear the hum sometimes. at night. it wakes me up but no one else in my family can hear it. I live in montana far away from anything that could make that sound.
Oh wow! we share this too?! Tell me, sistah! LOL do you get or have you gotten over the past few years, more than one sound, and both or all of them a good number of times.

I get this sound that's become more frequent than ever before. It's the oh....less realistic railroad sound. I live where there is no railroad for over a hundred miles in any direction, but no probably further, much further. One area am not positive about.

This sound-of-recent lacks the distinct clackety-clack? with the bumble or moan of the RR sound. Before, I was even a year ago, and not often getting the freakily total sound that reminded me of childhood and visiting folks that lived a few miles from a RR, and very faintly could hear along with that moan or hum? of a train going by, a rhythmical sound of when the train goes over some RR hardware. never mind, I could describe this better if I had just heard it and was speaking instead of trying to type.

I also get a jet engine sound and it is PRECISELY that sound. It's a feel-good memory tripper because hubby used to fly for a living and we spouses, maybe once a year were allowed to sit for a couple of hours what I would've thought was illegally-close to the runway during their preflights. Oh, the memories of newlywed come vividly and yet I remember the sadness of saying bye for 6 months.

I used to get up and open my bedroom window to detect these sounds outside, but it's actually quieter outside at those times.
Then, I finally searched this subject up online and yep, sites confirmed that the earth's hum is detectable indoors, not outdoors, saying this is what tons of folks have reported...."tons" of those that can detect them. A very low percentage of the human race can.

We..........are............weird! LOL J/K~

I know that feeling of being the only one! Thankfully, hubby's studied acoustics in-depth and we've kicked around a few ideas. Perhaps the earth hum gets trapped inside buildings for some reason and we that are sensitive are helped to hear it easier, well for us it is.

I have searched this online twice, about a year apart or so, online. Frustrating or puzzling to find one year more references to what I hear, and the other time, sounds I do not.

[quote='DLP' pid='15070' dateline='1433883167']
In early May, I heard the sound of a train moving along a track, complete with an occasional whistle over the course of a week. It was the first time I'd heard that sound and I haven't heard it since.
the sound I hear is as if someone is playing an endless note on a cello.
Aha! I am not good with recognizing the sound every instrument makes, so, I will go to youtube and find audio of just a cello, thank you! This will be fun.

"droning" is more like what I hear than a "hum" or another word often used to notate this sound. Hard to believe it can seriously bother others, but then how dare I say that since all over the globe, perhaps this sound is louder or actually is "maddening" that others hear.

It has never annoyed or irritated me one bit. I grin and go back to meditating and I always get to sleep.
Now, sitting on the throne in the bathroom is quite amusing to hear it.
Why for almost a year I've heard it mostly when in that room is beyond me. Past several years it was usually trying to sleep in the bedroom, but then it was total RR sound, or jet engine.

LOL goofy to even type all of this and of course it be true. I wish Mama was still alive. She had a unique life and now I can't ask her if she ever heard one of these sounds. I have a hunch that she did.

(06-09-2015, 06:17 PM)still Wrote: the sound I hear is as if someone is playing an endless note on a cello.
Tomorrow night, Dr. Glen MacPherson will be on C2C radio to discuss "The Hum." His website that documents it is linked from this Coast Radio page.
I heard it about a week ago when standing in the bathroom before a shower. Did not hear it when I got out, nor since.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2016/02/09

Alright! it's heard in a couple of East Texas towns that we're considering moving to. lol~

Thanks for the update and link Nanny! I am fascinated by the Hum. Wish I knew what my Boom noise was too!
Good point. Boom makes me think of earthquakes trying to happen, or happening. I wonder, also what you're detecting.
I only caught the first hour of the show last night. it made kitchen cleanup fun.

I think they're onto something with saying our bodies "broadcast" it to us within ourselves. I know I didn't say that clearly. My neck has picked up one of the sounds I hear when I look down, and I know I have neck problems. My neck has done this 30 or so times, but I can look down most of the time and not hear anything.

They think this is VLF frequence we're picking up on, of a radio source, I think he said.

I wish I had heard the whole thing, and the callers to him the second hour.
I subscribe to C2C, so I'll see if I can get more detail when I listen tomorrow on the app. (I usually listen to it when I go to bed, but I never get too far into the show that way!!)
I listened to the show, and he seems to equate it with VLF (very low frequency) military communications with subs. The synopsis says it better than I can.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2016/02/09

I was hoping there would be more here that could relate to the eerie trumpet noises folks were hearing. But this was specific to the Hum. And sadly, nothing about the booms and explosions. I'm not entirely convinced....

Thanks! I missed the reference to subs. No, it can't be just that type of Low frequency because this sound is heard thousands of miles inland.
This just seemed too specific without addressing how it fit with individual cases.
Here's a link to another unusual noise - what the heck is going on here? Someone actually recorded this one however. Weird!

Watch: Mystery Noise Torments Oregon Town

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/pages/watc...regon-town
Glad you brought this! it's a very unpleasant sound and everybody can hear it. Hope it stops sooner than later because something like that could really harm their peace and eventually even make the value of their real estate in that area decrease.