Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The grid goes down
Dream occurred the night of 22-23May2010 I often have very vivid dreams but this was extremely detailed, even for me.
I'm driving in a city, on streets through tall buildings. I don't recognize the buildings. I'm the only vehicle on the road. I stop at an intersection, blinker on to turn left on the street that veers off to the left(not a direct left turn, more of a 45 degree angle). The light turns green and I accelerate into the intersection. I'm almost through the intersection when my car dies. No engine, no radio, nothing. Everything just quits working. The car has enough momentum built to coast the rest of the way through the intersection and rolls to a stop next to a curb.
I get out of the car and look around. There's no movement. No traffic lights. No sounds of traffic. I see other vehicles way down the street and they're stopped in the middle of the street. All the buildings around me are dark. I try my cell phone. It's dead, too. Shit, I think as I get out of the car. I go to the trunk, using the key to open the trunk.
A woman comes up to me. She's dressed in a nurse's uniform/white scrubs. She says, "My car died."
"I know," I say. "We've got to go. There's not much time."
"I don't understand," she says.
I pull out my backpack from the trunk. "Most people are trying to figure out what's happened right now," I say as I check the bag. "They'll think the power is just down. They don't realize what's happened."
"What did happen?" she asks, watching me transfer items from my big purse to the backpack. The pack is crammed full of supplies but I manage to find room for the other things.
"Not certain," I say. "It could be an EMP. Or a nuke. Whatever it was, it's knocked out the electricity and electronics. When people realize that the power won't be coming back on anytime soon, it's going to get ugly. I'd suggest you get moving." I check her shoes. She's wearing running shoes. "Good," I tell her, "You'll be able to walk."
"Walk?" she asks.
"Yes, walk. Right now that's the only way you'll move unless you were riding a bicycle." She watches me pull my handgun from a case in the trunk. I put on the holster, on my right hip. Check the gun, check the clip. Insert the gun into the holster and put extra clips in the pockets of my jeans. "You can walk with me," I tell her, "If you're heading in my direction. If not-" I hand her bottles of water and a protein bar. "Here's enough to get you going."
She puts the bottles of water and the protein bar in her bag. I heft my backpack up and put it on, check my car one more time to make sure I'm not leaving anything important behind, then lock it, just in case.
"I'll walk with you," she says. "You seem to know what you're doing." I laugh. I have no clue but I know I need to get moving. We start walking along the street, in a direction I know is towards home and safety. "Well," she says, "You're prepared for anything."
"Not anything," I say. "Just enough to get me home."
As we walk, the streets are empty. Every now and then, I see people with backpacks, also walking. Not many, though. There's no sound. It's eerie, like we're the only people in existence right then.