Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on the Transition
After spending untold amounts of money on the new site, my developer has disappeared. So now my back is against the wall in terms of preparing for the IASD conference. The would-be new site looks okay, but it ain't anywhere close to being okay, with untold problems still yet to be found. Therefore, I'm taking a new direction, which some people may actually really like.

Where I feel we need to go with our website design in one that includes these concepts:

1. SIMPLE
2. Efficient
3. Robust
4. Expandable/modifiable
5. Ease of use for ADMIN
6. Wicked FAST

Although many people loathe forums, the NDC MUST have a forum, and compared to what Wordpress can do, we would ultimately be going back to the dark ages by transferring this current forum into wordpress.

Basically this forum, although not enjoyed by all visitors, can do just about everything we need it to do. The main problem with it is two fold: 1) No customizeable dream input form, and 2) it's sometimes hard to find stuff.

In my rational brain I can't justify paying an enormous amount of money to get a brand new site up and running before the conference. Plus, I just don't think anyone can do it in that amount of time, especially with all the requirement I now have. Therefore, this is the plan I've selected:

- The main engine of our website will be our current forum.
- However, I will build some lightening fast and basic web pages to appease people who don't like going into the bowels of the forum software. More specifically, I'm starting with a new landing page, which is strictly basic and responsive html (which actually is the fastest software you find). My goal is to create something akin to front page Drudge. Very simple and extremely fast. It will have the latest dreams (which will now be put into the Just Dreams forum), the latest dreambot runs, and our latest discussion threads.
- All the content on the front page ( http://nationaldreamcenter.com/ ) is simply RSS'ed from the forum, and each dream/dreambot/thread is linked directly to the forum. The concept here is that new folks who aren't familiar with the forum will actually land on a page that has all the important stuff right there for them. In fact, some visitors may elect to just keep refreshing the front page instead of ever navigating to the forum!

- I will be making incremental (mostly cosmetic) changes to the front page and the forum. The front page and the forum will look like new pages, but everything else will stay the same. We'll have links to the old wordpress blog and the old dreambase, but those pages will look almost exactly the way they are now.

- This will be the way we'll run it until new insights arise about our future community software. Bottom line on the future website: I have extremely high expectations for what it needs to look like, what it needs to be able to do, and how fast and efficient it is.

- Once I get all that done, I may try to move the chat into the forum. Do you all like the current chat? If not, what are some of the main problems with it?
I like chat. Some of the problems are; it does not clear when the room emptys leaving conversations for others to read at a later time. (I might say something outrageous to someone and then it is there for days!) It does not have an invite link and it does not have a lurker notice (you have no idea if an invisible entity is reading). There is no PM link.
Chris-
Suggestion....
Keep your ears, eyes and heart open at the conference.
Someone may offer a golden nugget for you
regarding the 'how to' with the forum.
Why reinvent the wheel right now is correct. I agree with you. No need to go back a redo something either
if you come back with that nugget.
It is in its labor stage ready to give birth to something wonderful.

If I lived closer to where you are, I would call for a BBQ gathering so we could all
put our heads together to listen to your stories of the conference, (livestream maybe?)
eat ribs (or veggies), beer/sparkling water, and share like the family we are turning into.
I'd even bring my Cabella tent and set it up in your yard!
Wouldn't that be a gas- all of these talented wonders
DREAMING in one spot!
COLLECTIVE DREAM FEST ! LOL.
Hloy crap batman- that might attract ET's...........(:-D
GREAT IDEAS, so far!

Keep in mind that as you keep watching the front page, it's not finished. In fact, it'll always be constantly being improved. Many of you may never even notice unless you purposefully go back to the root page (front page). Suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. Keep in mind that the intent of the front page is to KEEP PEOPLE COMING BACK, even if they never make it into the forum.
A search box that works would be so very nice.
I agree with Escholars. Also, a guest shouldn't be able to access the chat page, IMO.
MORE AMAZING IDEAS! Keep the brainstorm going; I'll be working on it gradually over the next few weeks. PLEASE let me know your opinions one way or the other going forward. Not that I'm going to try and appease everyone, but your thoughts do matter.
Very short on time but this thread does sound great, y'all.

Chat is great that it has the audible "ding" when someone posts a comment so we can be multitasking in other net windows, and not ignore or miss anyone/anything. Yes, the last certain amount of any chat stays for a long time and this will be nice if it can be fixed.

VERY LOW priority is that it's the first chatroom I've seen that literally will put just one letter of a word on the next line, no fault of any chatter.

More if I think of something. OH! a page that will look like Drudge, perhaps?! I dig it! Very fine look and can have the Pavlovian effect on new folks of wanting to be here, feeling at home. Look at how many millions of unique ISP hits that Matt gets monthly on his site.

Eagle1, you really need to not worry about any new website and focus on this big conference presentation. (watch the botrun speak to you about it anytime, now Wink
Very sweet thoughts from sorry, who was it? about us all seeing your presentation.

YOUTUBE It! I am thinking someone will.
God bless you in this very big effort, and in the website, Grand Experiment experience, too. He has been and will.

Easier said than done but...

"Relax and live it up" at the conference. It'll flow...