Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want Nightmares? Try Sleeping on Your Left Side
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/12/wa...left-side/
Quote:According to a 2004 study by Dr Mehmet Yucel Agargun and fellow researchers from Turkey’s Yuzuncu Yil University in Turkey, 40.9 per cent of the people who sleep on their left side have terrifying dreams, compared to the 14.6 per cent of those who sleep on their right side who experience them. An overwhelming percentage of remembered dreams by right side sleepers exhibited safety and well being.

The study mirrored Yu’s opinion.

Three thoughts:

1) 40.9% means 59.1%-the majority-of people do not have nightmares sleeping on their left side.

2) Were the studies designed to limit other contributing factors, like foods eaten or even horror movies watched?

3) Given the last sentence in the quoted portion, I suspect some confirmation bias at play here.
I sleep on left side, back and then right. All night long left, back, right, left, back, right. Confused
I sleep on my left side mostly, and go to bed listening to Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. So you think it would be just ripe for nightmares. But no nightmares. Not much anyway! Big Grin
I sleep mostly on my left side, too, and usually just normal dreams.

I would think "nightmares" would be subjective, too. I wonder how they controlled for that?
I would think it would be in the eyes of the dreamer. Your normal dreams could very well be nightmares for someone who is shy and introspective.
Yep, makes me wonder how many people go into therapy and take sleep meds to keep from dreaming what is normal for us.

(12-20-2017, 07:24 PM)Goldengirl Wrote: I would think it would be in the eyes of the dreamer. Your normal dreams could very well be nightmares for someone who is shy and introspective.
Wow Cassandra, an excellent point! Dreaming well isn’t just for sissies!
Yes, I bet that is true Cassandra.