Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why have my dreams left me?
For about the past month or so - nothing. Wispy memories at best, mostly just blanking out all night. Now, for most of my life I remember my dreams. It's who I am. I generally don't have dreams that are great sweeping dramas; most of my dreams are the garden variety, tho sometimes a bit of magic, lucidity and bounding (I don't fly Eagle1 - I bound HIGH!) show up. I can dream the future, though mine is usually day to day stuff. The first time it happened I was very small, maybe three or four?, and I dreamed about visiting a house with a pink plastic frying pan clock on the wall. I can still see the cord that ran down the wall. The very next day, my family (while we were on vacation) visited one of my dad's relatives (first time I had been there). That clock was in the kitchen.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice, or personal insight that they can share on how to encourage my dreams to return? I have been stressed lately at work, but even through other stressful jobs (much worse than this), and a divorce I was still blessed with my lovely dreams. (although during my divorce I was plagued with dreaming there was something I was forgetting, but would remember it in the dream, and then of course not be able to dredge it up while awake - it was a vicious cycle! but I was still dreaming).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
I do! Smile

My premise is that you are still dreaming, but the sessions are shorter and hazy (probably due to stress). Ideas:

1. Go to bed earlier.
2. Set an intention to remember your dream. Say it over and over all throughout the day, but especially as you are falling asleep...."I will remember my dreams tomorrow morning right when I wake up.
3. Meditate quietly before going to bed (no staring at the computer or iphone right before bed).
4. Mentally practice writing your dream down in the morning. Visualize yourself waking up, staying still, and recalling the dream. Imagine turning over and picking up the pencil to write the keywords down.
5. Develop a habit in waking life to label everything you see. "Car" "Person" "Plane" etc. When you get used to that, you'll automatically start doing it in your dream.

Even stressed out people can tap into REM stage, but alas, they are much shorter typically than a relaxed person.
When I set an intention I tend to remember my dreams better.
#2 worked, although it was still a just snippet, it was a longer one. Thanks Eagle1! I am going to keep trying...

I have also been reading "The Three Only Things -Tapping the Power of Dreams, Coincidence and Imagination" by Robert Moss. I am terribly interested in synchronicities, in life and dreams. So far it's been a compelling read.

One more question though--some people dream on a larger scale, and there are others, like me, who have a more pragmatic style of dreaming. Those everyday dreams are just as important, aren't they, to the dream bot and analysis?
(10-24-2015, 07:25 PM)Goldengirl Wrote: #2 worked, although it was still a just snippet, it was a longer one. Thanks Eagle1! I am going to keep trying...

I have also been reading "The Three Only Things -Tapping the Power of Dreams, Coincidence and Imagination" by Robert Moss. I am terribly interested in synchronicities, in life and dreams. So far it's been a compelling read.

One more question though--some people dream on a larger scale, and there are others, like me, who have a more pragmatic style of dreaming. Those everyday dreams are just as important, aren't they, to the dream bot and analysis?

Absolutely. What may not seem important at first glance may take on another perspective when we sit with it and find the deeper meaning. As for the bot, it's all about the words. Posting dreams of every sort gives the bot more words to sort, which is a good thing.

I know it's a simplistic version of how the bot really works but since I don't know how it works exactly, this is the best shot I've got. Big Grin
Thanks DLP! I hardly ever have dreams of giant tsunamis or hurricanes or alien invasions (and I suppose that's good!) When others are dreaming of ARMEGGEDON, my dreams are of traveling with a "family" who is not my family, looking thru homes for supplies (which I have dreamt more than once, starting when I was just a kid). Which says armeggedon in it's own, quiet way, I suppose!
If you don't keep a dream journal, I strongly recommend you start. I've been keeping one for years and it's fascinating to go back and read through some of the journals. As time has gone by I've discovered themes, people, events, locations, etc. that keep cropping up in my dreams. I've learned that there are certain aspects of dreams that indicate if it's a "learning" dream, where I'm basically being given information I need to know in waking life, or if it's a "head's up" dream, where I'm being given information about something that's coming my way. I've had dreams that have played out exactly the same in real life(that's always wild). I've had dreams that seemed to make no sense until I started writing them in the journal and then there was the "oh, okay. Now I get it" lightbulb moments as comprehension dawned.

You'll be amazed at what you can learn when you start keeping a journal.

(10-26-2015, 07:30 PM)Goldengirl Wrote: Thanks DLP! I hardly ever have dreams of giant tsunamis or hurricanes or alien invasions (and I suppose that's good!) When others are dreaming of ARMEGGEDON, my dreams are of traveling with a "family" who is not my family, looking thru homes for supplies (which I have dreamt more than once, starting when I was just a kid). Which says armeggedon in it's own, quiet way, I suppose!

Lately, I've spent a lot of time on the run in my dreams. Different scenarios but the same theme: I'm being pursued/hunted and I'm on the run. Beyond that, I don't really remember much. And this past week, I've been sick, which has seriously screwed with my sleep cycle. I barely get to sleep when I wake up coughing. It sucks. Big Grin
Profoundly wise advice from DLP!
You may also want to do a quick check on your health, find out if you are reaching REM sleep or not. I've got sleep apnea so it's something I've been paying attention to for a long time. To track things informally without going to get checked out at a sleep centre, you can get fitness devices these days that track your sleep periods. (I had one until it didn't survive some hard usage in the ocean, a version 1 wristband UP, by Jawbone). Over time with the feedback from the wristband I was able to improve my sleep periods and get them to be longer and consistently hit REM sleep and deeper sleep too. There's a version 3 of that wristband out now I plan to try once I have some cashflow again. I had to make some adjustments to my sleeping environment, as well my bed and the mattress and blankets/pillows etc, but the small changes were worth it. Even if you don't have sleep apnea, you may have overly tight muscle tension bothering you that you didn't realise, or alignment issues with joints that could be interfering with your sleep. Also look into making sure you are getting some decent vitamins and minerals (decent diet is important too), perhaps have your melatonin levels checked and maybe take some of that over the counter if you are having issues getting regular sleep happening. If you review everything, you'll find something to adjust and improve I'm sure!
Many thanks to all the sage advice! I've been the poster child for bad habits, I guess! Considering how lax I've been (with recording-spotty at best, going to bed late, not getting enough exercise, sitting in front of a computer all day-mindnumbing at best, stressful at it's worst, but hey, I'm employed!), it's a real surprise I've been remembering anything at all! I also have pets who think nothing of waking mommy up just cuz.

I am going to make a more concerted effort to follow all this wonderful advice. Mostly because I just now saw that I'm a Member, not a Jr. Member anymore! Woo hoooooo - this is me, doin' my happy dance!

Seriously, I appreciate you all.  Big Grin
Just quick thought & observation I've recently made from my own problems with not dreaming as often of late..

I started turning off my cell phone at night a few nights ago and Boom! Dreams are coming back! Some nights it's 2-3 dreams in a row. Not sure how it might be connected? I only turned it off for no disturbances one night, then the dreaming started. I tried it the next night and dreamed again. So I'm making it a habit to turn it off now.. Something to ponder.
(10-29-2015, 02:21 AM)IslandHippyMama Wrote: Just quick thought & observation I've recently made from my own problems with not dreaming as often of late..

I started turning off my cell phone at night a few nights ago and Boom! Dreams are coming back! Some nights it's 2-3 dreams in a row. Not sure how it might be connected? I only turned it off for no disturbances one night, then the dreaming started. I tried it the next night and dreamed again. So I'm making it a habit to turn it off now.. Something to ponder.

That's a thought. All those electronic devices, including phones, give off electromagnetic fields of varying strengths. If you sleep with the phone near the bed, it's possible those fields interfere with the dreamtime frequencies. No, I have no proof of this but I'll do my own experiment: Lately I've been sleeping with my phones on the shelf unit near my bed. My dreamtimes have also become quite erratic. So I'll put the phones in the closet or in my bag and see what happens.

Big Grin