Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4/3/15 Zealand's Temple, Rise of Chinese, and CERN Island
Quote:Group 1: Anyone know where Zealand is? I mean, we all know where NEW Zealand is, but NEW implies that there was an old, just like New York (York, England) and many others. Doing a simple google search answers the question. Zealand, Denmark is the city from whence the Dutchman Abel Tasman sailed and found the new land.

There's also Zeeland, which, according to Wikipedia, is also called Zealand in English. It's a province in the Netherlands. Also according to Wikipedia, New Zealand is named after Zeeland. There's also a city named Zealand in Michigan.

Abel Tasman sailed from Texel in northern Netherlands to Batavia, which is now Jakarta. From there he sailed all the heck over that part of the world in service to the Dutch East Indian Company. Eventually he stumbled across what is now New Zealand.

The Danish Zealand is the largest island in Denmark. It's not connected historically with New Zealand, according to Wikipedia.

I learned a lot about Zealand, can you tell? Big Grin Beyond that, I got nuttin'.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4/3/15 Zealand's Temple, Rise of Chinese, and CERN Island - by ThePaladin - 04-06-2015, 04:35 AM