Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Groups Traveling
So few people, and many obstacles. Many aren't 'themselves' anymore (I hate the word 'zombie', but many are 'permanently sick and wandering the streets' that will never heal, never return). They walk by, ambling. Watch them carefully, most times they don't see you - other times, they attack like a crazed soccer fan. Unpredictable.

I am tired of going house-to-house. There's no food left, others like me have gotten it already. It's near-empty soap bottles and cleaning supplies. Death overpowers many of the insides of homes. I knock, and if no answer, I open the door and search cabinets. It's been almost 6-months since 'it' happened (still no information on what 'it' is).

Dangerous to search houses in the daytime, cannibals are in groups now - not easy like in the start, 1-on-1. If they see you, they hunt you like prey. Not enough food to make searching worth it anymore. I've got to get out of the town.

Driving on road in unknown truck. Gas is low, not enough food or water in back. There's a deer, that will help. I am so hungry. I need to find a stream to get water, I am almost out.

It has been 3-years now, few are left. I stay hungry. Animals seem to be mostly gone. You still hear a few birds, but not like before. Weather is 'chilled' year-round, but I haven't seen snow since this started (strange, I think to myself). I am always chilled, though. I am ALWAYS hungry. Barely enough to live on.

It is 5-years or more. There are no airplanes overhead. Occasionally I cross paths with another. A few travel with me now. I don't lead, it's more like we just walk in the same direction together. We don't talk, even to each other. 6, maybe 8 total. We are wary of strangers we encounter now, seems without fail that each which crosses our path stays but a few days, then disappears in the night with more than enough of our meager food or gear. It is not worth helping or allowing others to join, it hurts us so bad. We usually find their body within a few days, but without fail, the gear they took is gone, and no food remains.

This goes on for years, how many I do not know.

Our group grows in size, there are now two dozen or more with us. We speak some, and there are a few young with us now. We seem to have been walking a 'clearing' for a long time, like an overgrown road or a trail (I'm thinking high-power powerlines). I feel bone-tired. I know I am dying.

We crest a hill in the Western Rockies. Below our vantage point, we see them. Close to 30-other groups, coming together in a meeting point! Maybe 5,000 or more. We came to a meeting point with no map or communication? I look at our group - we look like cavemen. We are arrayed in skins and furs, woven grass mats. There are no modern fibers or cloths anymore.

I am too weak to make it down to them, but I tell my wife - 'help them find the path down to that group forming'. She refutes, and wants to stay with me. I tell her, there is nothing she can do now - but help the others. I tell her 'I am going to sit here and just watch, rest for a while', you go ahead and help them down.

I awake - and don't fully understand if this was a dream, premonition, or something else.