Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it Matter?
Does the truth matter?

By Dr. Keith Ablow Published June 01, 2015

"The answer is this: Human beings suffer in exact proportion to the extent that they depart from the truth. This is a structural beam of the individual and collective human mind and soul, perhaps literally encoded in our DNA, and it defines our place in the universe. Human beings need the truth as much as we need food. Jesus and Gandhi both proved it by fasting, when necessary, until certain truths became known to them and others. And, for the sake of this argument, it matters not at all to me whether you believe that this elemental need is woven into us by God or by science. It just is."

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/06/0...atter.html
I find this rather ironic that the truth brigade is coming from mainstream media Smile
2+2=4 is a fact, despite what some school curricula may say.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe is a truth, but different people might disagree or interpret how that truth manifests itself in their lives.

Truth has a tendency to be subjective. One person's truth may not be another's, yet both may be valid, at least in the eyes of those who hold those truths. Some truths are universal yet interpreted differently depending on a variety of factors.

Goes back to the question of "What is truth?" Not as easy a question to answer as one might think. Smile
DLP,

I really like your perspective. This discussion is much like the battle between P1 and P2....predicting vs creating, destiny vs. fate. In this case, is truth absolute or relative? I've heard many arguments on both sides of the isle, and I've come to conclusion that there are both types in our world. There are factual-type truths, such as 9/11. There are specific events that happened, but I doubt we'll ever know the ultimate truth on what really went down.

And then there are relative truths. Each experience affects each person differently. Each person sees something different in an abstract painting. Dreams are very abstract and can be interpreted a million different ways.

And just like P1 vs P2, each truth team cannot see the value of the other side. It takes a special perspective to see the WHOLE, to see the worth in the juxtaposed position.
Quote:And just like P1 vs P2, each truth team cannot see the value of the other side. It takes a special perspective to see the WHOLE, to see the worth in the juxtaposed position.

Most people have invested in their truth so to try and step back to see another's truth is nearly impossible because anything but their truth is "wrong". They can't hold their truth and still understand that it may be just one of many truths, each as valid as the next in the eyes of those who hold those truths or that the truth is somewhere in the middle of all the others.

I once heard a medicine man say he tells people with whom he disagreed or who disagreed with him that "my way is not your way and your way is not my way;" that his way was neither better nor worse than the other's, it was simply different. I find myself using that phrase often, even with myself, when I read or hear something that doesn't mesh with what I perceive to be a truth.

It certainly cuts down on the drama that would ensue if I defended my truth as though my truth was the only truth. I'm very good with decreased/no drama in my life these days. Smile
Me, too, DLP. In psychology, they might call that conundrum, "cognitive dissonance." It is where we naturally can't hold two juxtaposed positions simultaneously in our minds. Taking the theory further, this is why we tend to look for flaws in the option you did NOT choose. For example, you needed a new car and you're battling between a Ford and a Chevy and you choose the Chevy (only an example). Cognitive dissonance says that you will probably start finding big flaws in the Ford and accentuating the good things in the Chevy.

We tend to do this with our truths, too. Always finding big flaws in the other theories while accentuating the positives in our own beliefs.

That being said, I do have to state that I have never seen so many people who don't suffer from cognitive dissonance here at the NDC! Talk about open minded! I guess you really have to be when humbly seeking the future before it arrives. Smile
This thread resonates with me.
With the majority of the people here having experiences that seem out of the realm of possibility to much of the world, that must lend itself to an open minded forum. We have learned that just because we haven't spoken to a spirit guide, caught a glimpse of the future, seen an angel, or received messages in dreams doesn't mean these things can't happen. After all, how can an elemental seer dismiss the notion of a dragon seer. Or a lucid dreamer dismiss the notion of a person who can help others cross over. Many people here have dealt with "impossible" so they don't close the door on other "impossibles" so easily. I think we are interested in finding as many truths as possible and perhaps that is why this forum is filled with teachers, listeners, learners, explorers, warriors and helpers.
Also, I have noticed how our "family members" have made conscious efforts to communicate with others through love and kindness conquering the type of **** that can arise elsewhere. Eagle has done an excellent job of communicating with us and setting a most unusual tone here as well, something I am very grateful for and most appreciative.
This is a blessed forum. Heart