Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essential Oil's question
A while back I started making my own liquid laundry detergent. I am thinking about adding scent and want to use a good oil. Anyone here use essential oils in their laundry? What brand do you use? I love the smell of juniper and pinion pine so would like to try that and also lavender.
I use Rocky Mountain Oils but have not made laundry detergent. They are not a MLM company, ethically source their products and are fairly priced. Perhaps there is something on their website which will speak to you. These are just recommended for cleaning, in addition to other things. I am sure pine and juniper would work well too.
http://www.rockymountainoils.com/collect...ning.html/
Thank You TB9!!!!
I actually saved a recipe for making my own detergent but never got around to it. Let us know how it works! The recipe I had used a bar of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap with peppermint oil, so you wouldn't have to actually add your own oil. The soap smells fantastic!
Another good company for essential oils is Floracopeia. Very Earth responsible and not a MLM company.
GG - I'm on my 2nd batch of liquid detergent made from Fels Naptha soap, Borax and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Works well for general washing. Haven't tried it on stains yet since I use Resolve for that. The reason I started making it was for 2 reasons. My washing machine is ancient and I thought a liquid would be easier on the system. And the other reason is I could not bring myself to buy liquid detergent because of the waste of plastic bottles. I try to use as little plastics as possible.

(02-27-2016, 08:35 PM)Goldengirl Wrote: I actually saved a recipe for making my own detergent but never got around to it. Let us know how it works! The recipe I had used a bar of Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap with peppermint oil, so you wouldn't have to actually add your own oil. The soap smells fantastic!
Wow, almost the same recipe, as I think mine was Borax, A&H Super Washing Soda, and the grated Castile soap. I wanted to do it because of all the chemicals; don't like 'em on my skin, absorbing and doing all sorts of unknown harm. I don't typically like to use products with any sulfates, phthalates, etc. There is an excellent website and associated app where you can look up the list of chemicals and their known effects. I'll come back to this post and add it (sometimes when I go away the site blows up my pre-posts, see Windy, you're not the only one!)

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

It's a database of ingredients in cosmetics