Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trouble
anyone else having trouble with slow loading of pages on site?
Yes, particularly to enter it and the forums. Both on my phone and computer.
Not me. Seems to be ok as usual.

Maybe a tad slow, but not anything I would've keyed in on.
Definitely on my phone but loading okay on my laptop.

I'm having problems with slow loading on my laptop, period. I take it as a sign I need to get off my butt and get to work. Big Grin
I thought it was this little fire kindle!
Yes, me too.
Now I'm experiencing it on my iPad. (The connection where I'm at should be super speedy).
Loading the forums is still the slowest for me.
I actually had such problems with my internet (and related Windows problems) that I threw caution to the wind, and took an old laptop I had, formatted the harddrive, and installed Ubuntu 14.04LTS Linux on it instead. It took me all of 3-days to learn it, and my internet speed is back to what it was. It was all the spyware and Windows cross-talk with their server, apparently. My other computer that runs Windows is still deathly slow, but my old laptop is now super-fast (being Linux-Unix based, it is unaffected by Microsoft's various 'talk-to-me' hidden code).
I've promised for 20 years that if something else came along, I would dispose of Windows forever. I've had it on my laptop for about three weeks now, and it is the best move I've made on software in a long time. I now only have a family media-server computer running Windows, the rest are either converted to Ubuntu, or are about to be.

The best part is, the Ubuntu is free, and the FULL office software, LibreOffice is free too (and inter-compatible with all the Office 2016 stuff, my wife uses LibreOffice Calc (equal to Excel) to work on her spreadsheets at home, and then take them in to the office where they have Office installed. Flawless integration.

If you are a 'simple user' of computers, I do recommend spending $20 on a user book from Amazon first, if you are considering a change over, and having a computer shop do your 'format and reinstall' (Dell Computers is now starting to sell Linux installed laptops from the factory). It will make you feel better about the whole process.
If they recommend to simply 'install Ubuntu as a secondary operating system', refuse it. You'll still be booting into Windows first, and you won't see your speed return like it should.
While none of your old Windows stuff will run on the new system, drivers for most all printers are available, as is Firefox, Opera, Google, etc. browsers. I work on my 'Google Drive' often in Ubuntu, and it actually integrates better with Google Drive than Windows did.
Sorry to make this sound like a 'Ubuntu promotion' (it's free software, as is the Libreoffice), and I don't work for them - but I have to hype a good (and terrifically free) product when I come across one. It's taken the 'Microsoft Chains' off me, and I really appreciate that.
I'm so unhappy with Windows 10 that I've been considering shifting to Linux Ubuntu so thanks for the review. One question, though: Do the files in Windows(like my music, photos, and documents files) transfer easily to Ubuntu?

MS can take W10 and all the spyware and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Angry
every thing else on my puter works just the same as always, very fast, it's just this site that is loading so slow.
For DLP, yes and more. Where with Windows, you have a lot of 'codec add-ons', most are already in Ubuntu Linux. There is a an update function that updates your software when they have fixes, and there are exceedingly-few viruses for Linux due to the nature of how it works (you don't need to run AV software, as a result). As for file formats, MP3, MP4, AVI, and lots of others are supported. About the only thing you sometimes run into are proprietary formats, but even then (like WTV for windows TV recordings in Media Center), someone has created support for them also.
I find the support for Ubuntu, in general, better than Windows - and most programs you grab on the 'software' page (you download them) is free too. I installed Rhapsody Music Player, and can play my podcasts, as well as listen to internet radio through it. I have to admit, it's been really fun learning it for the past month, and I've been able to get things done as well, while I did. Its been a low-price to pay, for learning a new system. The only thing some may not like is having to install programs from the command line sometimes. Microsoft made us afraid of command line decades ago, and now no one wants to type anything to install something.

One word of warning, if you have an iPod, iPad, etc.. and are using the Apple sync software iTunes, you will lose it in Ubuntu. The insane irony of not having a Linux version of iTunes is that Apple, after professing not to want to depend on Microsoft, and not wanting to be like Microsoft, has attached themselves to Microsoft in this way - and when they are a UNIX derivative just like Linux, the humor is not lost on me.

You can use Rhapsody to listen to podcasts and to subscribe to podcasts and to play music and build music libraries, but no luck with various Apple peripherals and 'sync-ing' them via your computer in Linux (unless you just have Linux installed on top of Windows, which doesn't fix this problem).

@escholars - if it is just one site, it may be the site's routing for that visit. If it is constant, then it could be heavy traffic pick-up (due to someone else at that location), or if a large server (like Amazon's Cloud) then it could be due to an IT issue at their location (server rebuild, maybe). Give it 24 hours and try again, if still like that, then either their server changed, or your route to them has (for whatever reason) taken a slower path, or someone is putting a lot of bandwidth demand on them that is being distributed to everyone trying to access the page.
Thanks for this thread everyone.

I have an exclusion question. Is there anyone NOT experiencing any speed problems? I have never experienced any slowness here. I'll be investigating this weekend on mybb and slowness. Perhaps I just need to clean up the database. There is a new upgrade to mybb that the admin side wants me to install, so I'll consider doing that as well.
Eagle1 I've been having repeated trouble loading viable links, this morning.
Once I re-load then test it works. This seems to be a new issue. So I'll try doing it again
to see if it repeats itself one more time (as a test).
Not sure if that is me or the mybb
Boss, not today! am on hubby's laptop hooked to our wireless service we're paying for in our temp. apartment, and it's very nice and fast.

Anyone still having problems today? or is this fine now?
Working fine on my phone now.
I am using a Google Chrome OS computer, no problems.
came in fast this time. It is working much better now. 11:35 PM Texas time!
Yes, it is better now for me too!
Super speedy now for me too. In fact, didn't even think about it until I came back to this thread. (Mac OS, phone 9.3, haven't wanted to blow up my iPad yet, hahaha).