Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyst position requires rigorous physical tests
I was working as an analyst at a large corporation. I had been absent from the job a few days, and upon my return I found my desk was taken. The floor barely had room to walk...the office was filled desk to desk with busy people, mostly women. I talked with my boss, and she said I should talk with other departments to see if they had work for me. Meanwhile a librarian came up to me and said I could not return a paperback book and she showed me the scanned receipt that said the computer had detected some terrible infectious disease on the book and I would have to pay $5 for the book as they would not accept it back. The librarian had difficulty speaking English. She appeared Asian perhaps Filipino; an older shorter woman, with short dark wavy hair and glasses. She repeatedly pointed at the scanned receipt, saying "nasty, nasty" and shaking her head no. I was dumbfounded and just stood there trying to process what happened.

Then as I was going to other departments, I encountered another woman, a manager of many of the contract analysts working there. I told her I was an analyst seeking employment and asked if I could apply for a job with her company. She quietly assessed me, then gave me a small smile, but said nothing. I finally asked if that meant yes. She agreed, said perhaps I would be a good fit and gave me some paperwork and directions as to where to go.

So I grabbed my heavy winter coat and some other items out of my locker. I glanced out the window and saw the friend I was planning to have lunch with beginning to walk away with her husband. I thought "oh well, I'll have lunch with her another time". then I took the elevator down, and followed the directions I had been given. I met up with a few other woman along the way, all going to the same place. As we were walking, we met with company employees and had to pass physical outdoor tests, all which I found to be easy. Then we came upon a pond, and were told we had to jump in and smash a submerged car window to grab an item inside. I watched as a few woman ahead of me took that test. I was wondering to myself whether I wanted the job that much, then I decided why not. As I stood on a wood plank about to dive in, I peeled off my heavy black shearling sheepskin coat, threw it to the ground behind me, and jumped in. As the water was a long way down, I turned over in the air into a dive position. I grabbed a large plastic stein in the water, pounded the car windshield vigorously, retrieved the item in the car, and swam back up through the clear water, and climbed steps out. I recall thinking or saying that these were ridiculous tests for a desk job, and perhaps better suited for someone entering the Navy. The tester gave me a small smile, but just told me I passed, and to walk to the next destination. I walked with the other women, through an open field. They talked about some of the noteworthy projects the company had completed, and pointed to a field next to us leading up to a church and school, and said the company had laid the internet cable there and successfully improved the school's technology access. I was now under the impression that the job I was trying out for was to lead to a job with one of the military divisions.

Throughout this dream the only male I saw was my friend's husband out on the sidewalk. All the employees, employers, and job candidates were women.