Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
08/26/2016 AM
No intent
I was sitting at an outside café table when I heard an old man say to a group of young boys “Let me tell you a story.” I listened in.
This is what I heard.
“There was a man named Matrio, now Matrio came to town about thirty years ago and took up residence in a tiny rundown shack at the edge of town. He would go to a different community square or park every weekend and every weekend he would tell, anyone that listened, about how he came here to wait for the famous fighter “Mariggio”. “
“Matrio would always challenge the local fighters and say how he needed to pass the time while waiting for Mariggio. Sometimes he would lose those early fights but he would always find someone to swear that his opponent cheated. When he won he would celebrate and tell people to tell their friends about his power and how he would fight any takers next time. He would never fight at the same place twice. He would only fight in places on opposite sides of town. He developed quite the reputation.”
“Now while he was doing this he was building a posse of never-do wells, men that would lie for him and back him in any tall tales. He lived better every week. The ladies bought him gifts of clothes and fancy accessories. His admirers provided him with fancy cars, good meals in fancy restaurants and took him to exotic places in their private jets. “
“His fight challenges gradually became melees with his people fighting other groups but, he always got his picture with himself standing over the knocked out body of his opponent. He cheated often but was never caught by his fans. He was a media darling. His reputation was growing daily. He became a hero to many; his opinions were considered trust worthy. Many swore that his advice had made their lives better. Many talked of how they had met him and that they thought he was a wonderful man.”
“In reality he was a man made up of lies. He grew fat and soft living off other people’s work, but he still lived in his tiny rundown shack. He would have starved if not for his reputation.”
“One day we heard that Mariggio was coming to our town.”
“Matrio began to shake down to his very bones. He had kept up his challenge to fight Mariggio but he knew he could not take him. He began to plot.”
“We all knew about Mariggio. We had heard about him from travelers from around the world. He was the best fighter in the world. He was at least 10 feet tall and had muscles on his muscles. He slept with the most beautiful women, drove the best cars, ate at all the best places and traveled the world in high style. There were always pictures in the paper but they were always places he had just left, never were they pictures of the man himself. No one really knew what he looked like!”
“A local banker told us about him. He said “Mariggio came to town, opened a bank account for the local school with a very nice deposit. I asked him if he was going to meet with Matrio and he asked who that was. I told him all about Matrio and he said he would if I would arrange the meeting in a private place between just them. I did as he asked. “”
“The banker told us about the meeting: They had lunch at his home. The two men were so very different. Mariggio was a lean, six foot tall, well mannered, well groomed and wore a business suit. Matrio was a fat soft slob in a garish cheap suit. Matrio was an ill mannered, rude braggart and he tried to challenge Mariggio.”
“Mariggio told Matrio “I have only ever fought in a board room to make life better for other people. I worked honorably and hard to earn everything I have. I did not and do not want publicity for myself. A man can live well on the efforts of others, lies, double dealings and publicity but if he cannot improve the lives of others that makes him a waste of a man. I use publicity to get awareness about the things I support, not for myself. You use it for your own aggrandizement. The man you want to fight does not exist except in tall tales. An unknown poor man that helps others is a better man than you. I will not fight you.””
“Matrio got all blustery and tried to make excuses but, when he realized they made no impact he stomped out of the room and left. Mariggio and I finished our lunch and he went on his way.”
“Matrio left town not too long after.”
The old man paused after his story. Then he said “One man lived on honorable efforts. One man lived on polished lies.” Then he asked the boys “Which would you want to be like?”
I sat in the sunlight at the small sidewalk café and thought about how I had lived my life. I pondered the moments that reputation had made a difference. I wondered about the different reputations I was given at different times in my life and the reputations I actually earned. I wonder about the reputation that I will end my life with; I hope it is an honorable one and one I earned.
I was shaken out of my reverie and woken up by my Hubby.
Comments:
I don’t know for sure where I was.
The place had what is called Tuscany colors, golden yellows, deep greens and burgundy wine. The table was round, black metal like a patio set. It was a warm mild temperature. The coffee was in a tiny little cup and very black.
The dream happened faster than it took to write it up.
It was most pleasant.
My goodness Edna! It is like a fable. You could turn this dream into a storybook for kids or a story for all of us. Well, in a way you did turn it into a story for all of us. ..in a way. What a great dream!