Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doom of Malafort and Philistia
This was a pretty upsetting dream;

I am staying at an inn somewhere in the Middle East, possibly Old Jerusalem. There are rumors that Philistia will attack within days. I meditate on this, gloomily, as I sit on the bed. I can see the huge city gate of Philistia far across a plain, lit golden with the Sunset. It is a beautiful and bittersweet sight.

"They are closing the gate," a Voice says to me. "Pronounce Doom against Philistia and its ruler Malafort. It is time."

I go to the open window and three times sing the seven note wail of mourning, the spirit of a young mother who has died in childbirth.
[Note: within the dream, this was the first phrase of the song "Awakening," Track 1 of the album Rusalka Cycle by Mariana Sadovska. You can listen to it at this link: http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/kitk...lka?song=1 More on that later]

It rolls like thunder across the field to Philistia.
The gate of Philistia stops closing. Everyone in Philistia and Jerusalem stops what they are doing.

As soon as I finish, I know I am in deep trouble. The rest of the dream I am fleeing from the agents of powerful Philistia. The Doom has been pronounced, and it unnerves everyone. I am constantly running, they are constantly looking. Somehow, they fail to catch me before the dream ends, everyone hanging on the portent.

Comments:
A frightening dream for me, because in it I was given the power to (effectively) curse a powerful empire to its doom. I did it, and it apparently started to happen.
I am more of a 'live and let live' person. While I think it is possible to effectively curse, I do not personally believe that it is _ever_ appropriate or helpful.
It felt like a pronouncement of curse for the downfall of the United States, represented by Philistia, by means of a vast and terrible tragedy that would have the same gut feeling of distress as what you get when you hear of a young mother who has died in childbirth--only on a national level.
Curse pronounced 3 times = efficacy.
Consists of 7 words = perfect and originating from the hand of God.

Now that THAT'S out of the way, the details don't bear it out:
I don't know who 'Malafort' represents. In some foreign language newspapers, 'Malafort' is the way they translate the last name of Paul Manafort. Maybe he's not my favorite guy, but hardly an evil emperor.
I haven't listened to the Rusalka Cycle for about 5 years. It is dark and frightening music, although "Awakening" is worth a listen. Per the album jacket,

"In Slavic folklore, Rusalki are the restless spirits of women who have died unjust, untimely or unnatural deaths. They inhabit the waters, forests, and fields, luring people to them with their mesmerizing songs and wild laughter."

The song itself appears to be in Croatian (or maybe Serbian?), languages I really don't know much about. The available online lyrics are only fragments of what they are actually singing, and badly misspelled. It would be easier to transcribe if the singers enunciated more clearly, and could refrain from shouting the exciting parts :-)
The first lines sung in the dream "Rado Rado - Da vedo na rodana vedo naroda na roditu rusalki" may mean something like "Early, early to reveal the road to see the land of the Rusalki [spirits]."

While somewhat frightening, this is not exactly a curse against a nation, though it seems to be at least obliquely about untimely death. It also does not have seven words.

If anyone knows Croatian (or Serbian) well enough to translate this, I know I'D be grateful...
Got the Spirit chills and all emotional like I am seeing and feeling what you are writing.  Listened to the song and even though I don't understand the words, wow that is one powerful song. There is a music forum now here in NDC, if you want to post that song there.
That was a creepy dream! I went to Google Translate to see if "Manafort" means anything in a foreign language. "Manaforte" means "poor" in Esperanto- the language of the world. Maybe there is a city somewhere called Manafort? Maybe "ruler" refers to a city name or a thing, such as "vice" or "money" or "greed".

Kelley

(06-19-2018, 09:28 PM)ablelba Wrote: This was a pretty upsetting dream;

I am staying at an inn somewhere in the Middle East, possibly Old Jerusalem.  There are rumors that Philistia will attack within days. I meditate on this, gloomily, as I sit on the bed.  I can see the huge city gate of Philistia far across a plain, lit golden with the Sunset.  It is a beautiful and bittersweet sight.

"They are closing the gate," a Voice says to me.  "Pronounce Doom against Philistia and its ruler Malafort.  It is time."

I go to the open window and three times sing the seven note wail of mourning, the spirit of a young mother who has died in childbirth.
[Note:  within the dream, this was the first phrase of the song "Awakening," Track 1 of the album Rusalka Cycle by Mariana Sadovska.  You can listen to it at this link: http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/kitk...lka?song=1  More on that later]

It rolls like thunder across the field to Philistia.  
The gate of Philistia stops closing.  Everyone in Philistia and Jerusalem stops what they are doing.

As soon as I finish, I know I am in deep trouble.  The rest of the dream I am fleeing from the agents of powerful Philistia.  The Doom has been pronounced, and it unnerves everyone.  I am constantly running, they are constantly looking.  Somehow, they fail to catch me before the dream ends, everyone hanging on the portent.

Comments:
A frightening dream for me, because in it I was given the power to (effectively) curse a powerful empire to its doom.  I did it, and it apparently started to happen.
I am more of a 'live and let live' person.  While I think it is possible to effectively curse,  I do not personally believe that it is _ever_ appropriate or helpful.
It felt like a pronouncement of curse for the downfall of the United States, represented by Philistia, by means of a vast and terrible tragedy that would have the same gut feeling of distress as what you get when you hear of a young mother who has died in childbirth--only on a national level.
Curse pronounced 3 times = efficacy.
Consists of 7 words = perfect and originating from the hand of God.

Now that THAT'S out of the way, the details don't bear it out:
I don't know who 'Malafort' represents.  In some foreign language newspapers, 'Malafort' is the way they translate the last name of Paul Manafort.  Maybe he's not my favorite guy, but hardly an evil emperor.
I haven't listened to the Rusalka Cycle for about 5 years.  It is dark and frightening music, although "Awakening" is worth a listen.  Per the album jacket,

"In Slavic folklore, Rusalki are the restless spirits of women who have died unjust, untimely or unnatural deaths. They inhabit the waters, forests, and fields, luring people to them with their mesmerizing songs and wild laughter."

The song itself appears to be in Croatian (or maybe Serbian?), languages I really don't know much about.  The available online lyrics are only fragments of what they are actually singing, and badly misspelled.  It would be easier to transcribe if the singers enunciated more clearly, and could refrain from shouting the exciting parts :-)
The first lines sung in the dream "Rado Rado - Da vedo na rodana vedo naroda na roditu rusalki"  may mean something like "Early, early to reveal the road to see the land of the Rusalki [spirits]."

While somewhat frightening, this is not exactly a curse against a nation, though it seems to be at least obliquely about untimely death.  It also does not have seven words.

If anyone knows Croatian (or Serbian) well enough to translate this, I know I'D be grateful...
Thanks Kelly, great thoughts.
[quote='Kelley' pid='33279' dateline='1529581338']
That was a creepy dream! I went to Google Translate to see if "Manafort" means anything in a foreign language. "Manaforte" means "poor" in Esperanto- the language of the world. Maybe there is a city somewhere called Manafort? Maybe "ruler" refers to a city name or a thing, such as "vice" or "money" or "greed".

Kelley

Thanks Casandra & Kelley! It creeped me out too. Interesting that Manaforte means 'poor' in Esperanto. That got me thinking about breaking up the pieces of the name. By syllables, "Mal a fort" in French is a phrase that means 'badly." "Mal afort" in Spanish is 'bad luck.'