Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big GMO/Glyphosate News
I know there have been some threads in the past regarding GMO's and Monsanto. Here is brand new news.The decision was made by IARC, the France-based cancer research arm of the World Health Organization to label Glyphosate a probable carcinogen. This means the UN has labeled it so. They are most concerned for agricultural worker exposure, not the average person. Most of those threads were before I came but perhaps they are relevant. I will try and check.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-03-po...bable.html
Thanks for this thread mentioning GMO.

I saw a headline earlier that said the FDA has approved GMO potatoes and dangme, one other food! All the while the monied folks fight GMO-labeling in various states. Sigh~

(03-20-2015, 10:02 PM)twiceblessed9 Wrote: I know there have been some threads in the past regarding GMO's and Monsanto.  Here is brand new news.The decision was made by IARC, the France-based cancer research arm of the World Health Organization to label  Glyphosate a probable carcinogen. This means the UN has labeled it so. They are most concerned for agricultural worker exposure, not  the average person.  Most of those threads were before I came but perhaps they are relevant.  I will try and check.
I am right there with ya Nanny! I can try to avoid them at home but good luck if I eat out.
(03-20-2015, 11:11 PM)Nanny Wrote: Thanks for this thread mentioning GMO.

I saw a headline earlier that said the FDA has approved GMO potatoes and dangme, one other food! All the while the monied folks fight GMO-labeling in various states. Sigh~

(03-20-2015, 10:02 PM)twiceblessed9 Wrote: I know there have been some threads in the past regarding GMO's and Monsanto.  Here is brand new news.The decision was made by IARC, the France-based cancer research arm of the World Health Organization to label  Glyphosate a probable carcinogen. This means the UN has labeled it so. They are most concerned for agricultural worker exposure, not  the average person.  Most of those threads were before I came but perhaps they are relevant.  I will try and check.
I dig popcorn, preferably white cheese flavor. Good luck finding Non-GMO popcorn/corn. It does happen. More companies are putting on their packaging if they're non-GMO.
Many natural food stores have non gmo popcorn. Trader Joe's also. Remember, Organically grown food CAN"T have GMO's so they are your safest bet. Also look of the certified NON GMO symbol on packages.
(03-20-2015, 11:57 PM)Nanny Wrote: I dig popcorn, preferably white cheese flavor. Good luck finding Non-GMO popcorn/corn. It does happen. More companies are putting on their packaging if they're non-GMO.
I do! that non-GMO insignia? well, it's little on the front of packages but it's a blessing to find.
Twice,

I remember seeing something that either does already or will eventually separate GMO and organic. In other words, you can have an organic, GMO corn chip. As for corn, I was under the assumption that corn is so proliferate when it germinates that there is no pure corn anymore. I'm going by memory on all this, so just take it with a grain of salt. I'm no expert on this subject...I do try to minimize GMO in my diet and maximize organic, though.
Yes, corn (and soy) are extremely high GMO crops. There have been documented cases of stray kernels getting into nearby organic farms too.
But you are NOT allowed to have a certifiable organic product composed from a GMO crop. There is of course a few exceptions.
This first link provides some good basic information simply stated. It is also lists the few exceptions . They also show you an image of different labels and what they mean.
The article is easy to read and informative.
http://gmo-awareness.com/2011/05/05/is-o...-gmo-free/
This sight is very informative about current issues regarding GMO's and Organic food.
https://www.organicconsumers.org/
While I may not be an "expert" I have been following GMO's and Monsanto since the 1990's. My parents also owned a chain of natural food stores until I was in my late 20's and so I spent a good part of my life and continue to spend a good part of my life around natural foods and organic products, whenever possible.
Okay....that is actually great news. Thanks for the research and expertise!!
I still didn't go find the headline but I recall now.

FDA has approved certain GMO Apples and potatoes! yeah, very common foods we all eat. Gotta fight this, be vocal, email, write, call and demand to know if our foods are GMO or not.
Then there's the issue of cheap french fries going into millions of us and our kids, talking collectively, I don't eat the things anymore because of the oils they're fried in.

(03-21-2015, 02:30 PM)Eagle1 Wrote: Okay....that is actually great news. Thanks for the research and expertise!!