Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button
Interesting. I just read up on my daily 'tech news', and found that starting July 29, Microsoft will be charging $119 for Windows 10, but they aren't going to stop nagging people to upgrade (or if they have automatic updates turned on, FORCING them to update - then holding their computer for ransom 30 days later, if they don't pay).

I deemed this equal to 'commercial virusware' or 'ransomware'. Then again, I work from a Linux platform anyhow, so I see it as exceedingly humorous, even though I feel for those suffering through a product and company treating people like this. It is blatantly wrong, but they are so intertwined with the government, or governments, that no one will ever stop them (except the customers).

I really wish I could show the 'average user' how simple Linux (especially the most-popular flavor, Ubuntu) was to use. If they realized that it is no more difficult than Windows, it's free, you can keep it for life if you want, and that it is capable of everything (and more) that Windows was capable of; I am convinced that Linux would be the world's preferred Operating System, bar none.
(and LibreOffice, the equivalent to Office, has every feature as well - and it is also free! There's even a copy that works on Windows, for those who would like to try it out). For an average person, the total learning curve is around 6-weeks to being as proficient, if not more-so, than they are on Windows currently (power-users have a curve more like 7-days).

I raise these points, as I see them relative to what Sherriann saw in her dream. I think a LOT of people are going to be enraged when they run into this issue shortly - and when their computer locks them out after 30-days of non-payment when it does happen, until they pay Microsoft $119 for the forced-upgrade.

I'm just curious how long before Microsoft retro-actively goes after everyone running the 'free-Beta' that has been released so far. I am sure, that eventually, they will reach 'backwards' and go for cash flows related to those who have already installed the freely distributed copy originally.

Messages In This Thread
Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Sherriann - 05-05-2016, 08:06 AM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Nanny - 05-05-2016, 10:06 AM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Skeetersaurus - 05-05-2016, 11:21 AM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Iris - 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Nanny - 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Eagle1 - 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Nanny - 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Windy - 05-14-2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Nanny - 05-14-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by Windy - 05-14-2016, 02:49 PM
RE: Hitting the Computer 'Off' Button - by *AD - 05-16-2016, 11:39 PM