Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translating Russian at Church
10/28/2010 05:15 AM EST
Scene 1.
I dreamed I was sitting with my wife in the front row at C---G--- Presbyterian Church (1). Pastor R---, a Stephen Colbert look-alike, is preaching. Everything feels forced, unnatural, and uncomfortable; The phrase, "Pretenders pretending not to pretend" comes into my mind.
After the service, a woman asks me to translate an announcement into Russian and then give the announcement in 5 minutes on stage at the church. It is something about 'where you can find help for your business.'
I feel this is crazy. I have no Russian/English dictionary, and there is not enough time. I try to do it anyway because it is 'for the refugees,' and I seem to get most of it right. My wife leaves the building, exasperated, while I work. I have to leave the building soon too!
Scene 2.
I dream of a single Russian word, printed in black Cyrillic letters on a white background. The middle of the word is fuzzy; only the beginning and end of the word are clear;

It could have been ЖИЛИК or ЖИЛЬНИК. (2)
Dream ends.
==============
(1) I have not been to C--G-- church for over 10 years. Pastor R-- saw himself as a corporate executive and believed that large numbers of churchgoers could best support the large corporate salary to which he felt himself entitled. When C--G--'s numbers did not pan out, he 'was called' to a larger church elsewhere.
(2) I have not been able to find these words, "zhilik" or "zhil'nik" in my Russian/English dictionary. Of course, it was a dream, so its very likely they are not real words (3)-- But the root "zhil--" could be the past tense of the word zhit' = to live; may be related to strength or durability.
Suffix --nik is a diminutive attached to the end of a word to convert it into an adjective to describe a person with those characteristics; Thus 'beatnik' is someone who has the beat; a refusnik = someone who was refused (exit from the USSR); an apparatchik is a person who is part of the soviet apparatus ie., a bureaucrat, a cog in the machine... 'Zhil'nik' or zhilik, in this context, would be someone that lived, or was strong.
If anyone knows these languages and recognizes these word(s), let me know.
----
(3) PS - If you say them near a bureaucrat, and s/he appears to turn into a leezard, run for your life :-)