Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are the Enemy
Lincoln NE 4/9
There was so much clear water. The catastrophes had settled and people pooled together to help each other rebuild their lives. Our community was very simple, basic, made up of friends, neighbors, co-workers, and strangers. I don't know how our particular group came together but we co-existed peacefully. There were anout 40 of us. We made a fishing net to haul in all of the huge goldfish (carp) in the waters around us. If we hauled in more than we could eat we put them back. The land we lived on was somewhat hilly, brushy, some trees and simple huts next to a massive body of water. All of the people had become close like family. We didn't argue and fight. We were happy to be alive and have each other. And then we heard asound far off in the sky and I stopped to look and listen. It was moving toward us, a helicopter, and it was red and powerful looking. We'd heard about these helicopters seeking out the survivors who had grouped together but didn't know they were red - we assumed they'd be military, green or black. I remember I smirked, "so this has become privitized too". It spotted our village and came toward us. We were terrified andstarted to run to a cave we had found but it was too fast, and so violently deadly, scalpel-like as it fired and obliterated people, leaving no trace of them. I watched as they were hit and totally obliterated, including my ex-boss, an absolute sweatheart of a human being. I was so angry and overcome with helplessness. How are we a threat?! What can we possibly do to them? Nothing! After everything we've been through, why can't they just let us live out our lives in peace? It was overkill, so terrifying and violent, simply to cause terror and chaos and disruption. No bit, peripheral player was allowed to exist - only the "greatest warriors of their kinds"; political, financial, military. Everyone else had to go and only the greatest and best could live. It was a like living inside a video game of violence for the sake of violence. I had been happier living during this time than any other time of my life becausewe survivors were whittled down to the most basic things in life which allowed us to form true priorities - each other, cooperation, simple living, exploring. After surviving and finding each other it was like being reborn in middle age.