Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Festival under the Helm
Monday September 29, 2014

I am at an electronic music festival floating aboard a 30 meter, three level ship. The ship is white, with beautiful, light hardwood floors. Of course it is decorated up with colorful lightining and several stages dispersed throughout. For some reason I see Paul before the festivities even really begin. He and I don't get along well, so I am surprised when he wants to talk to me. There is something that I want from him, but now that I'm awake I cannot remember what that was. "Next term I need you to look over homework for the freshman in my unit."
"You know I don't have time for that."
"Come on, it's really easy stuff. And you're smart enough to be able to help all of them." He pauses. "I'll do ."
I think about my freshman courses. Calculus 1 I can do in my head at this point. Physics and chemistry are simple, and of course liberal studies and intro to engineering I could do in my sleep. The mechanical engineering 3D modeling course is the only one I wouldn't be able to help with.
"Fine, we can see how it goes." Paul disappears. Everyone around me are random people I don't know, so I introduce myself to some people and get to know them. I ask them where they're from, what festivals they've been to, if they went to Forest, what artists they like, what they do in real life, etc. As usual, I meet some pretty cool people and we party for a while.
A friend of mine pulls me from the party I'm in, which happens to be the stage at the bow of the ship on the third (topmost) level. We walk through a few more well lit rooms until we reach the stern. It's quieter back here, an area where people can chill and talk. We do, and we go back and fourth with stories about things that happened to us throughout the day and the people we've met. One of the stories I explain is my deal with Paul. Soon I notice two people that capture my attention. It's the captain and first mate. They spill up the stairs onto our deck and I can tell the captain is intoxicated on some substance or another. It's not exactly obvious though, as he is stumbling with the ship against the waves. He maneuvers to the center of the room we're in. He doesn't have anything in his hands, no equipment, no computer; and there isn't any equipment on this deck which I can see, no helm, no wheel, no electronics related to navigation. However, he is somehow still controling the ship. He radios (again, with air) to another ship which asks the identity and purpose of our vessel. He answers that we are a festival boat, and the conversation ends. He then continues steering the ship, again with just the power of his imagination apparently and he somehow messes up the pitch of our ship, which I didn't even know was possible. We lean, bow to the water. Now people are partying pretty hard and most are intoxicated, so no one gets too nervous but we all start sliding forward. The first mate shouts some commands and the captain appears to spin a captain's wheel with his hands. The pitch is corrected, but then our roll leans hard port at a greater angle than before. Water begins pouring onto the deck and everyone slides towards it. Most people are too intoxicated to care, but the first mate starts yelling at the captain pretty loudly. I find this whole situation hilarious and proceed to laugh my ass off all over the deck, barely unable to keep myself from falling in the water which has spilled in. The first mate takes control of the vessel and rights it nearly immediately.
My friend and I walk back to the front of the deck where the party is. The double doors to the stage room are closed. "Why are the doors closed?"
"Probably some secret brotherhood stuff."
"What?" This catches me off guard and strikes me as completely out of place.
"Yeah, sometimes we have secret meetings." I am suspicious. I don't remember anything after this, I wake up.