Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red dirt field, skunk-tail mines?
Strange dream this morning Dec 17th, 2015. I was trying to take the LRT (light rail transit) into Edmonton, and I got off at the station just north of the river. but it was not in the right place, it was down on the shore of the river. I wanted to find the correct platform that would take me where I wanted to go and I had used the train in quite some time. Everything was different than I remember. So I started walking along the tracks in the direction I was sure the boarding platform was I needed. There were hardly any train cars around at all. All the stations used to be either indoors or have paved platforms, now all I saw was rails along dirt tracks as I walked. I looked up the hill to where downtown is and was really surprised to see a vast gigantic dug/out/overhang as big as a mountain above me. That was never there before, Edmonton used to sit on a small hill onthe side of the river valley, maybe 100ft to the water's edge. now it was a couple thousand feet from top to bottom. The cut into the mountainside was really deep, thousands and thousands of acres. All of it was overgrown enough that both forest and farmland had grown in there and I could see a small scattering of buildings throughout the vastness. As I walked I came upon an old man standing on a box/table in front of what looked to be an old subway car (we don't do subway cars in Edmonton) from somewhere else, he seemed to be half historian and half salesman. I could see there was no front end wall on the subway car and he had inside it some nice restored vintage cars. He was talking to a group of about 20 interested people. so I keep walking along the path/tracks. I can't seem to find my lrt station, so i decide to cut across the farmland and walk up to downtown, something i'd done a few times before all the land changes. I cut across an overgrown field and had a look up, I could see 3 ravines above me that were really steep. I could've tried climbing one but the ground looked both unstable and crumbly and strangely enough there was alot of burned vegetation and ash apparent in the ravines. That looked weird and suspicious to me so I passed it by. I was standing on a dirt road that cut horizontally across in front of me, so I thought i'll just walk up the road then, it'll be longer but i'll still get downtown. I turned right(East) and began walking. The road got so steep and vertical that it became really hard to move on before long. When it went pretty vertical I thought there seems to be a flatter area ahead if I can just reach it.

As I pulled myself up over the edge of the road to the flat area I was greeted with an even stranger view. The field up there was vast, made of dirt, bright yet darkish red. Not far away a white and black furry striped thing caught my eye. I thought shit, there's a skunk I better avoid that, even if it seemed a baby or small but young. As I began to look around for a way around the skunk, I noticed another of them, and another. I could see just the tail of each in the air but lying horizontal close to the ground. It looked like each little skunk was sitting in a small, round skunk-sized depression about 8 inches across or maybe a foot in diameter max. the more i looked around for a good path, the more of these skunks I saw! They were everywhere scattered across this field. There was nowhere I would be able to walk without alerting them and triggering them off. They were as numerous as mushrooms and the contrast of the red soil with the black and white tails felt very vivid and strange.

So I decided to go back down the slope to the lower fields instead. Not really sure where I was going to go at that point, I encountered the old man again. It seems he's a local and lives on a farm right there. He was sitting on a chair as I walked up and began talking to him. It was getting on towards dinnertime and I was hungry. It just so happened there was a LOT of wild rabbits hopping around the farm fields. One hopped up to the farmer's chair and I quietly said grab it. He got it and I was able to dispatch it for dinner, showing him how to process if into food. While I was cooking it, he began to cook pancakes to go with my contribution. I was thinking then about how long it was taking me and that my family would surely be missing me by now. I got the weird impression that the entire scenario was in the future and that the ground had been missing out from underneath the city for a long, long time.

Taking my leave of the old farmer, I began to walk back the way I came again and encountered an old woman who had a house nearby. As I began to talk with her I realised something was really wrong with this scenario and that I needed to be somewhere else. I was able to remember and focus on needing to get back to my family and so left that place. Once I was away from there, I realised the woman was some kind of memory-stealing creature and the more i interacted with it, the less i could remember. I was very relieved to walk back into busier civilization and got back on the lrt going in a different direction that what could've been the end-of-the-line.

Messages In This Thread
Red dirt field, skunk-tail mines? - by Shadewolf - 12-17-2015, 07:21 PM
RE: Red dirt field, skunk-tail mines? - by still - 12-18-2015, 09:18 AM
RE: Red dirt field, skunk-tail mines? - by still - 12-21-2015, 06:32 PM