Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood Pressure Med's, 1.20.16, AM
As another p.s. to this thread, Julie, since you mentioned using fish oil in the past year with little to no help, I have also tried fish oil (specifically cod liver oil) and had the same negligible results. A friend had warned me to avoid all "fish and fish by-products" due to the intense pollution of our oceans, but I had read some positive things about CLO, so I still went ahead to try it. I only bought the fermented kind available at health food stores, and it is very expensive. Again, it had negligible results. No bad side effects (except for the fishy taste at times), but I finally concluded, it was just not worth it.

Ironically, several studies came out in the media earlier last year stating that multiple long term studies on fish oils have shown the same negligible results in most people. No ill effects, just no positive effects either.

I continue to focus on my cortisol levels, which is the hormone in the body principally responsible for adrenaline. I've never gone to an endocrinologist myself, but can feel so often when adrenaline is coursing through my veins and making me jumpy, too alert, and unable to sleep. I have avoided any prescription sleeps meds, but take Tylenol PM as needed. Sometimes, I still wake up groggy, but my morning coffee helps with that. (I realize some are against coffee, as it is a drug too, with the caffeine, but I have drunk coffee so long now, that when I tried to quit, the headaches were unbelievably intense.)

I currently use a Himalaya supplement, StressCare, which seems to help regulate my cortisol, without my body fighting it too much. (In a contest between any drug and your body, your body will always win eventually ... sometimes, it just takes the body a little longer to learn how to fight the drug you ingest, so I do my best not to take too many drugs; I am currently not on any prescription meds.)

There are other natural supplements to help with cortisol, which I have used in the past, and they did work for a good amount of time, before my body learned to counteract their benefits. Another good supplement to possibly try is CalmPRT.

Of course, it would be better to ask a naturopath doctor about natural and/or herbal supplements, than an endocrinologist. Or a pharmacist. Pharmacists spend six plus years in school only learning about drugs; the typical medical doctor spends collectively one year in their entire medical school and internship training, focusing on drugs. A doctor's chief function is to diagnose and treat disease, and of course with surgeons, to repair broken bones and other irregularities in the body. Prescribing drugs is also a function of doctors, but it is not their chief function, and since we are all different bodies, it often takes some time to find the right drug or supplement for you.

Sorry if this is all too much, and I don't expect you to reveal anything personal on this thread which you want to keep private.

Blood pressure, which is what you began with, is a big deal for me, since all too often, people are led astray focusing on BP, and ignoring what else may be going on. BP is NOT the only "silent killer" in the body. And if other things are dealt with, BP can often adjust itself.

Messages In This Thread
Blood Pressure Med's, 1.20.16, AM - by Cassandra - 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM
RE: Blood Pressure Med's, 1.20.16, AM - by Nanny - 01-20-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Blood Pressure Med's, 1.20.16, AM - by Nanny - 01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
RE: Blood Pressure Med's, 1.20.16, AM - by NH watcher - 01-24-2016, 05:27 AM