Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Church Square
I am in the middle of a church square.. It seems dark our or maybe at first light. People are setting up small tables all around and the craig is overseeing the activities. A small boy maybe ten or twelve comes up and askes for me to help he is eyeing the goods that the people are putting on their spots I think the square is a trading center where people trade their goods like an old farmers market. I go with him to where they are living. It is like a small room off to one side of a dark broken down basement. signs of a once opulent life are around them.She is nursing a small baby it is obvious that she is malnourished and next to her looking scared and half hidden behind her is a small girl. All are looking hungry and despirate.She askes me not with words but with her eyse please help. I ask where is your husband she has none and she is unable to provide for the family.
I take the small boy and we go to the square and there ask the overseer ( I am not sure who this is he is tall dark hair) for a few bowls of soup in the center there is a huge pot and in the pot they make soup for those with the tables that are set up he gives us three huge bowls of soup and a small loaf of bread We are told that he has to have a table and a booth in order to get the soup regularly. I ask why. This was the incentive given to restart society to get each that had what ever talents they had to start bartering for services etc. The boy turns to me and says.. My sister and I have nothing to trade for services. We take the soup back to the old dank dark basement. there there is a rotting orange. I show them how to cut it in half and take some grease off of lard that is in a pan and make an oil lamp. they now have a small lamp to see in the dark we also take a small five gallon metal can I I show them how to make a heater so they all can stay warm..they eat the soup hungrily and the boy tells his mom. that they can get soup regularly but they have to set a table up for trading. The mother looks at me and says can I help. I think a bit and say yes. so I get the boy and we go down by the river over by cherry creek park. in the trees there I had planted several coffee bushes and they had flourished. we then go to scrounge through the collective dump site. Seems somewhere or other rather than haul what others think is trash away there is a collective dump site furniture in one area households in another etc.. then people can go and scrounge through it. we grab a peice of plastic a couple of strainers and an old grill and a metal rod.After we do that we go over to the welding shop and ask if they could weld the two strainers together. the welder laughs a little and askes me.. what are you making today I tell him of the delima that his mother and sister are in and the welder looks down with a softened look and says sure he can put them together. I tell him I need a whole drilled in both ends and an opening on one. and had him put a couple of peices of angle iron inside both bowls and weld the steel rebar through the holes.
After we get that done we go down to cherry creek park and we gather some of the beans off of the bushes the I show how to clean wash and dry the beans. We sit down and I show him how to make a solar still so that he can purify the water that not only his family ( for some reason the water is really putrid) but to use in daily life.
we then go down to the trading square and there take the new contraption we had made and the old grill. we build a fire in the old grill and put a few of the beans in the now made roaster and he cranks on it. after a while when it is done. ( sounds like popcorn in the background) his sister is pounding it and putting it in small sacks for her brother to trade. Craig comes up to us and smiles at him and says job nicely done you now have a booth for the square. I then show him how to take barly and mix it with the beans to roast to stretch the beans..