Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“The Failing of the Ruling”
Date: 2014-07-03
Time: 0755
Type: Spliced, linear, POV

Following a short flash dream in which I forget my brother's fishing rod (2 of mine as well) at a fishing trip with my parents and my brother, I suddenly find myself in the backseat of my good childhood friend's car driven by his father. It is about mid-morning on a cloudy day and we are on our way to a local public conservation area for some shore fishing. After parking in a sandy lot next to the boat launch area, I head down to a 20-foot long white, wooden dock next to the ramp. Just beyond the dock and a little to the right are a few patches of lily pads into which I cast a rather large lure with a bait-casting rod from the shore. Although the pads are quite a distance away, I'm rather surprised at how far the lure travels.

As I work the bait over to the right, I begin to notice just how shallow the crystal-clear water is. I estimate it to be no more than a foot deep. Suddenly, a late-to-middle aged man with greying hair and moustache approaches me from behind and takes up a position to my right. He smiles at me and makes a comment that I can't remember as he prepares to cast out his own bait (a cluster of about 5-6 small, pink-coloured leaches on a hook, below a red and white bobber) into the lily pads. Not wanting to disturb his fishing, I move onto the dock and continue casting in and around the foliage, apparently intent on catching northern pike.

After the man casts his bobber into a clear pocket of water in between a few lily pads, I suddenly become aware of a rather large, dark greenish lizard-like creature following my bait in the water. A little further beyond it and to the right, I can also see a much larger, child-size dinosaur-looking creature (complete with dorsal fin) walking towards the man's bobber (literally wading through the water). For a moment, this unusual sight does not perturb me, until I hear a peculiar rustling in the tall bushes growing up the bank to my right. I instantly get the feeling that the man and I are in imminent danger, so I shout to him that we need to run. As I say this, a hail of primitive weapons such as arrows and strange-looking spears begin to rain down on us from the direction of the rustling. In my mind, an image of the attackers begins to form -- they are humanoid, barbarian, man-sized monsters with slick grey skin, and grotesque faces and large fangs. For some reason, the word "