Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hilly Road
I'm driving my van on a gravel road. It is cold and there has just been a light snowfall (late fall/early winter) so there is ice mixed with the gravel. The road has two high hills to climb. The second hill is the highest. I'm on my way to a very deteriorated city that I visit from time to time in an industrial area in my dreams. I'm going to see some people who live in a brick building that is in bad shape but has otherwise stood the test of time. The building faces a series of skyways built for car traffic, sky trains and freight trains.

My van has a hard time climbing the first hill. It seems to be lacking power as it groans its way up the hill. The wheels don't spin. Three quarters of the way up the second hill I find I'm on the wrong side of the road with the breaks on. I'm looking at the top of the hill hoping another vehicle doesn't crest and hit me head on. I'm afraid of that and afraid of easing off the brake to get going again in case I begin to slide backwards down the hill. But I must go on, and I do because the next scene finds me in the brick building discussing the problem with the van with a man who lives there. He is a mechanic of sorts. We determine that the van probably needs a new fuel filter, which it does in real life.