Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another flood
Date: 9 June 2015
No intention set

I'm somewhere there are lots of trees but not in a forest. More deciduous type trees instead of conifers. Not a lot of underbrush, like what we have in the TX Hill Country. There are small houses dotting the area, most are within sight of at least  one other house so they're not spread out too far apart. There are gardens near each house. I'm wandering around the area, don't know why I'm there. I don't know anyone yet those who do see me seem to know me. They greet me with familiarity. I just wave and say hi back to them. There are kids' stuff, like play areas and trikes, scattered around some of the houses. Pickup trucks parked near all the houses. The driveways are dirt. The road to the houses is dirt. A feel of being some distance from any town or city. There's a fence around the entire property that encompasses all the houses. It's like a small community.

Jump to the entire community is in an uproar. Chaos. People racing around. Men loading their trucks, the women corraling kids and animals. A woman rushes by me and thrusts a baby at me with the admonition to look after her baby for her. I look down at the sleeping child; it's a boy, dressed only in a diaper. I stand there wondering what the heck I'm supposed to do with this kid. His mother left me with nothing, no diaper bag, no bottles, nada. I decide to go in search of his mother and give the kid back to her. I walk around the side of one house. Their garden is there but nothing's growing. It's just nicely tilled earth, with rows indicating planting has occurred recently. I notice the ground is soggy, muddy. I skirt the garden to stay out of the mud and circle around to the front of the house. There's a pickup with a man tightening straps over the load in the bed. I approach him and ask if he knows the parents of the baby. He stops, looks at me, and says There's no time. You have to go now. What's happening? I ask. Water's breached the dam, it's going, he says. We got about ten more minutes before the water hits here.

As he talks, I look down and see a trickle of water swirl around my boots. I say You don't have ten minutes. The water's coming now. He looks down, then bolts for the driver's side. He tears out in a spray of mud and dirt, leaving me standing there with this sleeping baby. Well. This sucks. I take a minute to put the baby in the backpack I didn't know I was carrying, get the pack with the kid hefted in place, and then I start jogging towards what I hope is high enough ground. I make it to the top of a hill just as the full force of the water hits and I stand there, panting, hands on my knees, watching the swirling water inundate everything below me. Everything is washing away in the surging white-crested water. I check the baby in the backpack, he's still sound asleep. I still don't know what to do with him and have no idea where his mother went so I can get him back to her. Sighing, I sit down on the ground to wait out the water. Some days, I think, this job sucks.

Messages In This Thread
Another flood - by ThePaladin - 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: Another flood - by still - 06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Another flood - by ThePaladin - 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM
RE: Another flood - by Nanny - 06-09-2015, 06:05 PM
RE: Another flood - by ThePaladin - 06-10-2015, 12:20 AM
RE: Another flood - by Nanny - 06-10-2015, 01:07 AM
RE: Another flood - by ThePaladin - 06-10-2015, 01:24 AM
RE: Another flood - by Nanny - 06-10-2015, 04:03 PM
RE: Another flood - by Sherriann - 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM
RE: Another flood - by ThePaladin - 06-24-2015, 12:12 AM
RE: Another flood - by ThePaladin - 01-03-2016, 11:56 PM