Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gospel Music
Found Mississippi John Hurt on Youtube just now. If you like old gospel this is good. My favorite so far is, "Where Shall I Be". https://youtu.be/dwEApeAshkI
Julie, very nice idea for a thread! Here's one of my old favorites. "It is Well With My Soul." I like hearing different artists sing this. Here's a copy with the story of this song's history written on the screen. A history I don't recall ever learning and now this song means even more to me. (A pastor-friend's wife sang this to Mama as she was dieing of her cancer, at home.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX_50AERr8M

Oh gal, after listening to this song again, I've just got to share my thoughts. It is well with my soul. Me! having lived a wild, self-centered time of the 70s, partying, sunbathing and doing everything and everybody I could, almost.
Yeah, it's JESUS, not denomination or doing it like everyone in the family. No, I don't, we don't have to "assimilate" into society's idea of "religious."

Jesus died for ALL of us and He created us, and it's fine with Him that we are *ourselves, not clones of our siblings-in-Christ. I wouldn't have made it this far, otherwise. Always have been my own goofy, unique person with no apologies.

If it can be truly "well" with my formerly sorry-self, it can be with ANYone. I try to keep this in mind when dealing with the neighbor-from-hell next door. Very glad to be moving soon because of him, too. But, I'll keep prayers for him a long time from now, and I think he was destined to be my neighbor so I could practice not hating, not "resenting"' such as him.

It ain't religion, we can be cool, we can be ourselves and have JESUS within. Oh, so many folks were raised in religious families, forced to attend church and I'm talking of the folks that were driven nuts by hypocritical religious folks. I get it, and have had my share of trials with such.
Hey! I don't like to tell folks I'm a christian unless they ask. If they can't tell, why should I say so? Besides...

I think if I tell folks I then maybe insult Christ after those folks observe me for very long. Wink

I guess that's all. Dunno why this welled-up in me but maybe, just maybe someone surfing the net will be helped/ even blessed by it.

God bless you, Julie gal~
the hypocrisy of the "Christian" religion is what has turned so many away. I hesitate ever to refer to myself by that name because as soon as the word is uttered people tune you out. I am a believer in Jesus, Messiah. I follow after Him and His teachings. i do not follow the doctrines of man nor any "Christian" denomination.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your 'Christians'." - Mahatma Ghandi

theres a lot of false teaching out there and sadly the good gets lumped in with the bad and altogether the lump is called Christianity. People have been so mistreated in the name of Jesus, that now, in the MOST important time of history, no one wants to hear the Truth. Jesus LOVED and loves everyone. He dined with the lowest of the low while He walked earth. the religious folks shunned Him, and in short course, murdered Him because they couldn't tolerate His message. He was leading the people away from the religiosity and they couldn't stand it.

Stepping down off the soapbox now.
Love the song, "It is Well with my Soul". Amen and Amen Sista's. If anyone asks me about my religion I tell them I am a Jesus Follower. I will stand with Jesus and believe the Bible, it's that simple. Too many people think it has to be complicated and it's not.
Beautifully said and it's so true, great post.

Thankfully, He is pouring out His Spirit on *all flesh* at this time. Even the most alienated because of the fake christians, well-meaning as a lot of them are, His Spirit whispers namelessly to Consciences and Hearts, and He will have His way with all that are destined.

Christians that are real, and live it, having become as little children again will touch those hearts wordlessly that need to be touched, the most.

(12-18-2015, 08:19 AM)still Wrote: the hypocrisy of the "Christian" religion is what has turned so many away.  I hesitate ever to refer to myself by that name because as soon as the word is uttered people tune you out.  I am a believer in Jesus, Messiah.  I follow after Him and His teachings.  i do not follow the doctrines of man nor any "Christian" denomination.  

"I like your Christ.  I do not like your 'Christians'." - Mahatma Ghandi

theres a lot of false teaching out there and sadly the good gets lumped in with the bad and altogether the lump is called Christianity.  People have been so mistreated in the name of Jesus, that now, in the MOST important time of history, no one wants to hear the Truth.  Jesus LOVED and loves everyone.  He dined with the lowest of the low while He walked earth.  the religious folks shunned Him, and in short course, murdered Him because they couldn't tolerate His message.  He was leading the people away from the religiosity and they couldn't stand it.

Stepping down off the soapbox now.
I sing "It Is Well With My Soul" as a lullaby to my grandson. Big Grin
YOU ROCK, gal!~~~
"it is well" is my favorite