Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spirit Animal Question
Can one have a domesticated dog as one's spirit animal?

Dogs pop up in my dreams more often than they should, I think. And they seem to be protectors and message bringers. Or maybe I'm way off. What do y'all think?
Yes they can. Let me go look at my Animal Spirt book.

From the book Animal Speak by Ted Andrews.
I love this book!!!!
I will summarize the dog section.  
Keynote: Faithfulness and protection.
Cycle of Power:Year-Round
Dogs are domesticated canines. Their descendants are coyotes and wolves, and thus they should be studied as well. Dogs are companions to humans, providing faithful protections. Every dog and every breed has its own unique qualities. Many breeds were designed for specific purposes and functions. Study the history of the breed to understand the energy specific to this totem. ( What others have you seen besides poodles GG?).
It may be giving you a message,depending upon how it is acting. For example a loner type dog who is pestering you to play may indicate you need some more socializing in your life, more play.  
Most Native American tribes had dogs for protections and warnings., but dogs have held symbolic importance in other societies as  well.  In India, the dogis a symbol of all caste systems, reflecting the small becoming great.  In early Christianity it was a symbol of guardingship (as in the sheepdog), and it was even an allegory for the priest.  In Greece it was a compainon to and guardian of the place of the dead.  It has also been a symbol of motherhood because dogs are very caring and nurturing parents.
It takes a lot to break a dog's spirit.  It's ability to love , even when abused, is tremendous.  It's spirit and willingness to love and to be a companion is great.
Study your dog.
If your dog has come into your life as a totem, ask yourself some questions. What is this saying about your need for or lack of companionship? Are you being faithful?  Are others around your? Are you showing unconditional love,  or receiving it? Do you need to be more protective of your territory?  Do you need to play a little more?  Are you being faithful to yourself? Does your spirit meed bolstering? How about those around you?  Examine your territories.  Dog knows its home ground, and if it shows up, its energies and lessons will touch you personally.
The dog is a powerful totem, reflecting faithfulness and companionship.  Many times it is easier for individuals to begin working with totems that are domesticated rather than wild.

I hope this helps Golden Girl!
Wow Twice, thank you! Golden Retrievers show up more often than any other, mostly because I've had 5 of them in my life. It's why I'm Goldengirl. Love the critters, because they are faithful and strong, all while retaining their playfulness. They are also know as Velcro retrievers, because while they are great family dogs, they will usually pick one out of the "pack" to stick to. The one that shows up in my dreams is the first one out of the five. I always told her I loved all Goldens because of her. She would just smile that goofy smile back, could light up a room.

And lately I've needed some spirit bolstering, that's for sure!

I have never dreamed about poodles, however, and to have a puppy show up that could talk AND give me a message was pretty amazing. Been thinking about it all day and what it might mean.
I had a golden and he was wonderful. I have a sheepadoodle now and he is the light of our worlds. An Old English Sheepdog and Poodle crossbreed. He is awesome and very good for our family of allergy sufferers. So loving and a clown as well. He is way too smart for his own good as well. haha
I am glad you mentioned animal spirits because that may be something to explore for sure. And spirals and 2.